Boston and transportation strategies

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I arrive at Logan airport at 1:30 pm this Friday and have a rental car lined up. I need to be in Framingham by 2 pm Saturday to get ready for a wedding on Saturday evening (in Natick). I've never been to Boston before and as a huge history geek, I'm trying to squeeze in some sightseeing before the wedding. Looks like I can catch a tour (or walk around the Freedom Trail) Saturday morning; the question is, what's the best way to do this?

1) Should I stay in Boston on Friday night? I can probably get an okay hotel thru Priceline, but with the rental car, parking will erase any real savings. And what will driving in Boston on a Friday late afternoon be like? Awful, I bet.

2) I could drive straight to Framingham on Friday, and stay in the area (doing what, I'm not sure) that night. I was going to take the train in to Boston Sat morning but the MBTA schedule shows the lines don't run often enough for my needs. This puts me back in the "driving in Boston" category, but I'm guessing Saturday morning won't be as awful? And is parking going to just be impossible?

The more I research, the more confused I get- I need someone with actual Boston experience to help me out!

TIA
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 11:29 AM

Change the rental car.

Arrive in Boston. Take cab or MBTA to hotel - which for your short visit MUST be in immediate downtown area. Walk some of Freedom Trail, have dinner in North End (Italian).

Sat AM get up early enough to do a little more sightseeing. Either pick up rental car in downtown Boston location or reverse process and pick up rental car at Logan. If you are using downtown car rental location call them directly (do not rely on website info) to make sure of hours - some are not open weekends.

Plan to start drive to Framingham by noonish - it is really only a 20 - 30 minute drive but allow time for traffic, to get lost, etc. If you are really early, you can grab lunch in Framingham.

It is easy to get to Framingham from either Logan or downtown - hop on Mass Turnpike and drive west.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 11:46 AM

I agree with Gail's suggestion: go with your option (1) but don't pick up the rental car until it's time to head out to Framingham.

There are several car rental agencies with offices in the "Copley Square" or "Quincy Market" Priceline zones. The latter PL zone is in the heart of the Freedom Trail. Do NOT bid on the airport zone.

Unlike many cities, Boston's airport is just a few minutes from downtown and is served by the subway system.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 12:16 PM

I agree with my neighbors. Priceline a Boston hotel, take the silverline into boston to avoid possible traffic and schedule a car for a 1pm pickup at a city location. See what the fee is for airport dropoff.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 12:40 PM
yk

Ditto what others say.

1) STay in a hotel in Boston Friday night.

2) Rent a car on Saturday from downtown Boston, then drive out to Framingham

3) Return the car to LoGan Airport

I know that will cost a bit more to return the car to a different location, but the amount of time and brain cells you'll save is priceless.

If you choose to return the rental car at the airport (ie different location), I don't think you can do so via Priceline or Hotwire.

I did a similar thing in San Francisco last week. Rented from Union Sq and returned to SFO airport. It cost an additional $18/day for the convenience, but I can tell you it's worth every penny!

If you do some googling, you should be able to find some coupon codes for car rental companies for a discount. I flew AA and used the AA discount code for Hertz and saved 33% off the rack rate.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 02:44 PM

I also think getting a car on your way out of town is a much better idea. That way you don't have to worry about trying to find parking or trying to find your way around downtown Boston on the streets that have no rhyme or reason, and were laid out 200 years ago as cow paths.

If you stay downtown, stay near Fanuiel Hall so you will be able to maximize your site seeing.

There are a couple of hotels in the area, and I can recommend the Harbourside Inn, or across the Street the Marriott Customs House.
Staying there you can take the T from the airport and get off at the Aquarium stop, and both hotels are RIGHT there. Also right ACROSS the street is Fanuiel Hall and Quincy Market, for lots of choices for restaurants and site seeing. You can get a map of the sites to see at Quincy Market and walk to see most everything that Friday afternoon, and Sat morning see the spots you missed.

Have a great time in Boston.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Okay- I'll see if I can change my rental car reservation. Based on what you are saying, I should probably look in the Quincy-Faneuil Hall-Financial area for Priceline, or the Quincy Market-Financial area for Hotline, right?
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 05:16 PM

Right.

"streets that have no rhyme or reason, and were laid out 200 years ago as cow paths."

Ahem, it's closer to 400 years, now.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 02:53 AM

1. Get the car on Saturday
2. Get a 4 star hotel at the airport on Priceline. It will be the Hilton or the Hyatt. I have stayed at both and they are both good.

3. From the Hilton, take the hotel shuttle to the MBTA and take the T into Boston.

4. The Hyatt is next to a water shuttle which will take you to the Boston waterfront spectacularly if not particularly cheaply. Alternatively, especially in bad weather, take the airport shuttle from the water taxi to the MBTA. Take the T to the city. When you get back, the water taxi shuttle won't be running, so you will need to call the hotel van.

4. Friday night, walk around the North End, waterfront, and Quincy Market areas. Lots of places to eat, probably easier for someone alone to eat in Quincy Market and go to the North End for dessert. It will be crowded, esp in the North End.

5. Saturday morning, pikck up your rental car. Either the hotel or the rental car shuttle can get you there. Get directions to Post Office Square. Park in the PO Square garage, which on weekends is very cheap. Do the Freedom Trail tour, which starts nearby, then return to PO Square, get the car, get on the expressway south, then on I-90, and you are in Framingham about 25 minutes later. More or less.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Okay- based on everyone's advice, I canceled Friday's car rental and the Friday night in Framingham. Instead, I got a room at the Marriott Long Wharf thru Priceline (comparable in price to what my Framingham hotel would have cost). Looks like a nice hotel in a good area. I'll look around Boston Friday afternoon and evening, and a little on Saturday morning. Then around 11 am I'll pick up the rental (have to go back to the airport, but don't think that should be too horrendous on a Saturay), and drive to Framingham. Thanks for the information!
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 03:26 PM

Excellent!!! And the hotel is perfect for your needs.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 03:29 PM

You did great, and we are all flattered you took our advice.

There is a water shuttle from Logan to Long Wharf - info on MBTA.com
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 03:33 PM

Now if we could all agree on the best dining destination!!! LOL!!!

Safe journey Pisces!
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 03:38 PM
yk

Glad you took our advice. Have a good time in Boston and at the wedding!

Just FYI, you'll need to pay $ for the tunnel when you leave the airport to get on the MassPike. I believe the toll is $3.50. Others feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Just want to give you heads up to have your wallet ready when you leave the rental car place.

It should be fairly easy to drive from Logan to Natick. When you leave the car rental place, just look for signs for MassPike or I-90 (they're the same thing).
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Oh- the water shuttle! That would be awesome! And thanks for the tip about tolls. I'll make sure I have lots of singles and change on me.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 04:27 PM
yk

I think the water shuttle is quite a bit more expensive than taking the T (aka subway). The T is $2 one way. If you take the T, you need the Blue line and get off at the Aquarium station.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 04:36 PM

Or if you have a rollaway suitcase and no other heavy baggage, just jump on the silver line outside of your terminal to South Station, and follow the water to your hotel - I'd guess 1/4 - 1/2 scenic mile.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 04:45 AM
yk

One more thought about rental cars in Boston. When we rented one 2 years ago from Logan Airport, it came with the Fast Lane transponder on the windshield. We were told that it won't work unless we "slide" it out of the protective case. If we use it, we'll be billed (on our CC) later for the toll charges we incur. If we don't want to use it, then just leave the transponder in its "case".

Anyway, we decided to use it, and about a month later I got billed on the CC. Perhaps I'm paranoid, but I had the feeling I was overcharged (perhaps by a couple of bucks), but I wasn't sure because I never paid attention to how much toll I incurred.

So, I just want to let you know this may be an option with your rental car. Obviously, it's a convenience since you can then choose the Fast Lanes and not stop to pay toll, esp if there are long lines at the regular lanes. However, if later you get your CC bill and there is a discrepancy, it can be a hassle to fight with the charges.

Lastly, there is no toll for the airport tunnel on your way back to Logan.