Reload this Page >

Rental car for Maui trip or no?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 09:07 AM
deb

Hi, my husband and I are planning a trip to Maui and are booking a package trip through the airlines, staying at the Westin Maui. The package does not include a rental car but we can book one for extra. Need input on whether it is necessary or not.

We are hoping this will be a relaxing vacation (our 3rd anniversary). We have never been to Hawaii before but don't intend for this to be our first and only trip, but first of MANY.

Our plans are to soak up some sun at the beach as well as some Hawaiian atmosphere. We are planning on the Royal Lahaina Luau but see that you can book before you leave for the trip and the package will include hotel transfers too. We are not the type to tour all over the island throughout the trip. We will probably set aside one full day for sightseeing via car and don't want to pay hotel parking charges for all those days the car is not in use.

Can we get by with renting a car for the day and walking everywhere else or is a car just ESSENTIAL for the trip period?

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 09:30 AM
barbara blaine

I think that a car is a must. We spent lots of time in Lahaina and there do not seem to be many cabs in Maui. We stayed at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel where parking was 5 dollars a day.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Jeff

I would say that you do not require a car if you stay in Kaanapali. There are several good resturaunts within walking. Beach and the pool at the westin are great. A short walk to black rock for great snorkling. Cabs are available. Even though we had a car we took a cab to the Old Lahaina luau since we wanted to enjoy the free Mai Tais. I want to say it was about 15 dollars round trip. The car rental is more then you think when booking. They add tax and there is a road charge (hmm sounds like tax) that is addition to tax. 30 dollar a day rental turns into 40 then parking at hotel.
We went to lahaina a couple times. Shopped a little ate and did some charters (whale watch, sunset sails..). The biggest charge would be the cab to and from the airport. It is probably 50 dollars one way.
Next trip we will not get a car. If you golf, Kapalua is a must.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Lori

We've always rented a car and we prefer that because of the freedom, but if you are staying at the Westin, which is right in the middle of Ka'anapoli Beach you can get away with it if you really do not want to. Perhaps renting for just a day or two will surfice. You can walk to several hotels and Whaler's Village so there are a lot of dining options. I believe there is a free shuttle into Lahaina from the hotels (also Hilo Hattie's store used to run one, probably still do...you can always take that in, the store is nice and they have clean restrooms - you are not forced to shop there and can just go on around town from there). It's 'too far to walk into Lahaina from the Westin tho.

I'd skip the luau -- they are just tourist gimmicks - lots and lots of better places to get a meal.

While it is doable to not have a car for the entire stay, it does limit your activities, but it's a personal call.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Travellyn

We did not get a rental car and it worked out fine for us. We booked a package that included airport transfers and stayed at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel. We walked tot he Sheraton for snorkeling at Black Rock, walked over to Whaler's Village in the evening for dinner and shopping, there is a lot to choose from there. We spent one afternoon in Lahaina and did the luau that night using a cab to get there and back. Renting a car for one day was not very expensive and we used it to do the road to HAna and tour around. I think not renting a car is the way to go. The only necessity I would see for a car is if you were renting a condo and wanted to get to a grocery or costco and needed the vehicle or if staying in Wailea to get to the action at Kaanapali Beach. If staying near Whaler's, definitely not needed!

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 01:14 PM
JKNYer

HI, We stayed at the Westin while in Maui and I was glad to have the car. Ofcourse, we like to explore on our own and the drives are scenic and fun. I dont remeber parking being that expensive, and there aren't many walkways along the roads on Maui.
JK