Rental Car Advice on Maui

Jul 15th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Rental Car Advice on Maui

I just rented a car through www.discounthawaiicarrental.com and wound up with a convertible at Thrify. I read a "horror" story about their rental counter, and was wondering if anyone else had a good or bad experience with Thrify. Or-does anyone else have advice about renting a convertible on Maui in September.
Jul 15th, 2009, 05:34 AM

I found the cheapest rates through Alamo in December. Used them with no problems. Also had a convertible - that was actually the cheapest option.
Jul 15th, 2009, 05:54 AM

I always use Thrifty, through the same discount website you are using. I signed up for the Blue Chip program (free), and go to the special Blue Chip line for faster service. You will have to go to the Thrifty website to sign up. If the rates are the same, I'd cancel the first reservation and make a new one with my Blue Chip number. You'll get your # right away when you sign up. Otherwise I'd probably call Thrifty and ask how to get my Blue Chip # added to old reservation.
Jul 15th, 2009, 06:45 AM

Wendydenny, can you tell me more about ending up with this convertible. When are you going and how much are you paying. I've been trying everyone and I still can't seem to find a convertible (or Wrangler) without paying double the price for a regular economy car.

I too am a big fan of all the agencies' frequent user free memeberships. The only issue is that when getting a good rate through a discounter -- you often can't use the fast lane or put the reservation onto your membership number. I found that out with a National priceline contract this month in LA, for example. It would have cost me over $150 more to rebook with National so I could use the Emerald Club line for speedy pick up. Thankfully the regular pick up wasn't too bad.
Jul 15th, 2009, 07:52 AM

Sign up as a "frequent flyer" on whatever rental agency you have. You get to cut to the front of the line, which can save enormous amounts of time waiting in line.
Jul 15th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

This is for NeoPatrick. We are going in early September to Maui. The total price for a Sebring convertible, with taxes, is about $39 a day and the total is $455 for the 1st-10th.
Jul 15th, 2009, 12:37 PM

OK, Thanks. That is about the same price I'm finding in October -- also for 10 days. But for the same period I have an economy car reserved for $275. I'm having a hard time justifying the almost $200 extra for a convertible. I am splurging for one on Kauai, but it was only about $60 more for a week than the economy car. With four car rentals over 5 weeks total, they really add up.
Jul 15th, 2009, 04:39 PM

NeoPatrick...Keep an eye on Alamo. They have a Hawaii promotion that they tend to keep renewing. When I went in December, the weekly rate for a convertible was $179.99. Looks like it is $279 right now and expiring August 9th. My bet is that it renews again sometime closer to your trip....and will possibly be lower than the current $279. If you can't find anything on their website (usually a link from the home page about deals in Hawaii), then try entering HIPROMO in the Corp I.D. field. You may have to wait until August 9th to try your dates since that is when the current promo ends.
Jul 15th, 2009, 04:42 PM

I've also heard of people combining other coupons with the HIPROMO for additional savings. I think there is some Costco coupon that results in another $25 off. If you Google "Alamo HIPROMO," you can probably find more info.
Aug 1st, 2009, 10:29 PM

I am in Maui right now, and we rented our car through Thrifty on Wed. We've been to Maui 5 times in the past 6 years, and this has by far been the best rental experience we've had. We rented online, when we arrived to the airport we proceeded to the shuttle area behind the car rental place, and our Thrifty shuttle was waiting for us. After getting in, the driver left immediately and dropped us off at Thrifty. There was no one in line and we got our Sebring (as requested) without any delay. What a change not waiting in a long rental car line as in previous years!!! Good luck!
Aug 6th, 2009, 03:46 AM

I rented a convertible through Alamo last night for 12 days in September. The total cost is $490.04 but I had to prepay for it. There is a small cancelation fee. This was by far the best rate I could find. I went through the website stated and it was around $150 more than what I got with Alamo. Also look on their site for a $20.00 coupon which was included in my final price. Have fun in Maui...I am looking forward to going back! KT