Rental Car Advice - Maui

Search

Rental Car Advice - Maui

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rental Car Advice - Maui

We are arriving at 5:30pm Friday and picking up our rental car at 6pm. Our plane leaves Kahului at 11pm for the return flight. We have to return the car by 6pm in order to not be charged for an additional day ($58+tax). Is it worth it for 3 additional hours to pay an extra day? Are there things to do around the airport within walking distance? How early can you check in even? 6pm for and 11pm flight? We wouldn't want to haul our luggage around town.

TIA! Can't wait!
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 10:42 AM

Once you take back that car, your pretty much stuck at the rather small Kahului airport. Not much to do, really, no place to walk to. Through whom are you renting the car? I had a similar situation last year and I was not charged for an extra day through Thrifty, but I was charged for an extra day at the Dollar counter two years ago when I brought the car back an hour later than my pick up time.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

I am going through Thrifty. This afternoon I called their 800 number and asked if I would be charged an additional day for turning the car in late and the woman said yes. I guess I will wait and see when we get there how receptive the agents are. I don't feel like sitting in the airport for 5 hours! Maybe we will get lucky and they won't charge us.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 11:19 AM

I wouldn't count on that. We rented a car recently in Las Vegas and they said that we had to return our car at the time on our reservation (which was two hours BEFORE the actual full rental time) or they would charge us extra. I don't remember what company it was, but I think it was Alamo/National.

gnr
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 11:54 AM

Hmm. So I am wondering, perhaps I was not charged for an extra day because when I reserved the car I told them I would be returning it at the later hour? I was curious, so I pulled out my receipts. It looks like Thrifty charged me an additional hourly rate, wheras the Dollar receipt shows a charge for an additional day.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks here_today! You are so nice to pull out your receipts for me. I don't mind paying an hourly rate but to pay a full day is kind of crazy. I will definitely ask the agents when I get there. Mahalo!
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 01:18 PM

Kopper, the hourly rate for 3 or 4 hours could be as much as the additional day. Maybe you could take a taxi somewhere nearby for less?
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 02:06 PM

We had the same problem so we called a taxi. For $8.00 he took us to a mall about 2 miles from the airport. The kids did some last minute shopping and we had dinner at Robin's resturant. It was OK. I really don't like to venture too far from the airport as you never know what traffic is going to be like.

Actually, with that amount of time you could get to Pa'ia or at least that's what the Cabbie told me. There are a lot of resturants there.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 04:52 PM

And Pa'ia is SOOO cute. Only two streets though and it didn't take a lot of time to do. Don't recall a lot of restaurants but we mostly just had ice cream as it was that "in-between" meal time.

Spokane - Did you go to that open air mall in the "shopping" section? There were tons of places to eat in that area. We went to Pizza Hut. That can kill a good bit of time.

gnr