Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

rent car or take shuttle from Marriott Orlando World?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Linda

We are planning to stay at the Marriot Orlando World resort the week of March 22nd...I found out that they have a shuttle which they charge 7.00 roundtrip per person to disney world... We have 4 in our family...Trying to decide whether to rent a car or take shuttle... anyone stayed in this hotel? have any suggestions?
thanks!

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 08:16 PM
Celeste

It's a gorgeous hotel but I've never seen a room (we eat at their buffets a few times per year). There's no way I'd pay that for a shuttle - rent a car and then you'll be able to see a little of the area (and have more restaurant choices) as well.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 05:31 AM
Barbara

We were at Disney World this past summer - we also stayed off property. I was so glad we rented a car. It allows you to move around on your schedule not the hotels. Have fun!

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 08:20 AM
tc

We stayed at this hotel the first part of December. Its a nice, big, convention type hotel. The rooms are somewhat on the small side. Ask if you might get upgraded to one of the on-sight condos. Many in our group were.

The shuttle has one BIG draw-back. It doesn't run very often. Its extremely easy to drive to any of the Disney "worlds" if you have a car. Parking was no problem. We loved the freedom our own transportation.

We found the Marriott dining choices to be quite limited and pricey. If there is a large convention in the hotel, its impossible to get a reservation. The hotel was also under major construction (lobby) while we were there, which had closed two of the dining rooms. I think you'll want a car for alternate eating choices - especially if you have children in your family. There are tons of family style/chain restaurants within a mile or two of the hotel. We also spent an afternoon at the wonderful Outlet Mall nearby, if you're in to shopping.

Car rentals in Florida are extremely inexpensive and the drive from the airport to your hotel is quite easy to navigate. Get the car. You'll be glad you did.

If you have more questions about the hotel, just drop me an email.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Linda

Thanks everyone for the great advice! Looks like renting a car is the way to go!
We got 5 nights at the Marriott free by using our reward points from our credit card so I don't know if upgrading rooms is a possibility...
anyone recommend a good, reasonable car rental place... We are a family of 4 with 1 9 year old and 1 6 yr. old.
Thanks!

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Chris

The rental car is the way to go however go with a firm that has cars on site (National does) at the airport as the transfers off site via shuttle can be bad. I have rented from Alamo in Orlando on two occasions and the counter wait has been excruciatingly long each time. The car rental rates in Orlando are low as compared to almost anywhere else and will be cheaper than the shuttle for your family of four. By the way, I played golf at the Hawk's Landing Course located at the Marriott World Center and found the course and the staff to be great.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Lois

We just recently returned from a stay at the Marriott Worldcenter. We were happy with the stay. The grounds are nice, but only had one meal there, and while excellent, it was pricey.
We rented a car because in the end, it was cheaper and it gave us flexibility to do other things. We found the most convenient was Avis, because it is right at the airport. No shuttle is involved, which saved a bit of time both coming and going.
For your information, this hotel is very convenient to Disney. You make a right out of the entrance and it takes you right onto the grounds. You are there in minutes. Enjoy!
p.s. I'm using Marriott points in June for a free trip to Hawaii including first class airfare!]. Those points sure do add up!

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 06:11 PM
dina

is the hotel within walking distance to Disney?