Renaissance vs Marriott Marquis Atlanta

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2007, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a great rate at both of these hotels in Atlanta. I am traveling with my 15 yr. old daughter.
The Marquis is undergoing some renovations. Just wondering if one is better than the other. I wouldnt mind staying at the Maquis with the contruction if its in a better location.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 01:55 PM

Is there a particular reason you want to stay downtown? If you are visiting purely as a tourist, I wouldn't stay in either place and I'd pick the Marriott Suites on 14th st. in Midtown instead.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

No reason at all except that I got a great rate at both hotels. Is the Marriott Suites in a better location?
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 07:11 PM

I'll ask too. What are you going to Atlanta for? Atlanta can be a fun town with lots to do, but almost none of it is downtown. The north end and Buckhead are generally better, or even midtown, but not downtown unless you need to stay there for a convention.
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 02:16 AM
Original Poster

We are just going for leisure so we want to be in the best location for a weekend leisure traveler. Any suggestions on a hotel?
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 07:01 AM

I would choose either Buckhead (if you have a car) or Midtown, near the Colony Square area.

If you can afford the Four Seasons on 14th st., stay there. If not, stay at the Marriott Suites next door. If you have a car and really want good access to shopping, stay in Buckhead at the Ritz Carlton or the J.W. Marriott near Lenox mall.

If the rates at the Marriott Marquis or the Renaissance are so fantastic that you can only afford to stay at one of those places, then just know that neither of them is going to be within walking distance to a lot of sights or restaurants. The Renaissance is actually more in Midtown than Downtown, but it's not in the good part of Midtown. It is near the Fox theater though, so if you want to tour the Fox (which is a fun thing to do b/c it's a beautiful theater), then it's not so bad. But you will want a car to get around town.
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 07:03 AM

I don't mean that the Renaissance is in a "bad" part of town, I just mean that the location isn't ideal for walking to sights and restaurants. But if you stay there because the price is right, it will be fine, so long as you have a car. The North Avenue Marta stop isn't too far away, but Marta isn't going to go everywhere you want to go.