where to stay in Hamburg

Old Jul 5th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where to stay in Hamburg

Will be visiting Hamburg for the first time. What is a good location to stay to be near the main city attractions?
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 09:23 PM
hsv

I would stay in the center of town. There are quite a number of hotels located in downtown.
A nice option would be somewhere on the Western shore of the Alster Lake in the district of Harvestehude/ Rotherbaum. A few places jump to mind there, too.
I already noticed that you were interested particularly in visiting venues where the Beatles played. Thus you might look into lodging in St. Pauli, Hamburg's red light and entertainment district, too. In fact there might be two or three options there, that would be o.k. or better, if you don't mind the seediness of the surroundings.
What's your budget?
I live in the city and might be able to come up with a few recommendations.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks,
I would like to stay near the center of town. I have alot of points built up for some of the nicer hotels like a Shereton or Marriott. I definately want to see all the Beatles stuff as possible.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 09:33 PM
hsv

There is no Starwood property in Hamburg.

However, the Marriott is in a brilliant location on Gaensemarkt, right in the center of town. Downtown gets a bit quiet at nights as there are predominantely offices around. But the Marriott is just steps from two Underground stations from where trains will whisk you to almost anywhere within minutes. You'd be very centrally located for sightseeing the city.

The same goes for the Renaissance, which is also a nice hotel housed in a very characteristic red brick building, formerly the headquarters of a newspaper and just about three minutes from the Marriott and adjacent to one of the major shopping passages.
It does not have a pool, but I believe guests are entitled to use the spa facilities at the nearby Marriott.

The Park Hyatt might be an option, too. It is also located downtown just steps from Central Station. They have a very nice spa area in the basement and is a favourite haunt for visiting celebrities in the music business.

BTW the Beatle's website mentioned on your other thread by bluestar was excellent, I thought, and may very well serve as a guide around town for seeing the Beatles' venues.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

hsv,
Thanks so much for all the info.
mike
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 08:39 PM
hsv

mike,

you're very welcome!

Should you need any more info or tips on what to do/ see or where to dine, do post here and I'll come up with a few suggestions.