Search

Renaissance Parc 55

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 03:17 AM
Collette

Renaissance Parc 55

Don't see this property reviewed on this site. Any comments from folks who stayed there? Can get it for $149 in mid October and trying to please a fussy husband who is not impressed with charm but wants more clean and glamour. I had also thought of the Sir Francis Drake but some say room very small and scaffolding outside.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 04:38 AM
Howard

A good hotel, near Market Street. The price is a fairly good one. Because of tts proximity to the convention center, it is heavily used by businesspeople. Though not in a prime tourist area, it is within walking distance of Chinatown, close to shopping and not far from a cable car terminus.
Be forewarned, however, that you will encounter some homeless people in the area.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 06:15 AM
Debbie

Hi Collette,I stayed at the Monticello Inn which is around the corner from the Renaissance.We went there for a bite to eat and decided it would be a great place to stay the next time we visit San Francisco.We like the area.Close to shopping,cable cars,and restaurants.
Yes,there are homeless people but we never found them to be a problem...

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 06:55 AM
collette

Thanks Howard and Debbie . Your comments are helpful.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 09:08 AM
JJ

Another post about a FUSSY husband. What gives? There are 3-4 fussy husbands running around fodors.com today.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 01:38 PM
Jay

Parc 55 is a large convention type hotel in not a so great area. Scaffold is gone from the Drake but they do have small rooms. I would recommend the Prescott for your fussy husband--its small and classy and one of conde naste's gold choices.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 04:52 AM
Collette

Thanks, Jay ... that info on the Renaissance is helpful... I think I will cancel that reservation and stick with the Drake. I can get the Drake for 129 noc King Deluxe on hotelres.com but Prescott is much much more.. I need to save the big bucks for our one or two nights in Carmel area.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 04:54 AM
mike

Re:"fussy husband"
sometimes a wife will put the blame on the husband to get more sympathy when asking questions of this type.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 05:41 AM
ho

Evidentally, Collette just goes with the last opinion given. Tell me, sweet lady, if I now said the Renaissanced Parc 55 was great, would you again change your mind?

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 06:18 AM
Collette

Dear Ho and Mike... No, husband is the fussy one.. honest. And Ho, I guess it is just because I want to make a good choice... I wasn't wild about Parc 55 to begin with because I feared it would be sort of sterile... I have now sweet talked husband to be more open to an older hotel with character. Thank you both for your interest in my marital situation and personality flaws... what would I do with out the kind members of this forum????

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 08:29 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 02:39 PM
just

Collette, my dear, I suggest you not be a smartass if you expect help in the future!

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 03:15 PM
John

Collette, check out www.biddingfortravel.com and familiarize yourself with the star ratings used by Priceline.com for hotel bids and the "zones" in SF used by Priceline.

The Drake, Parc 55, Hilton, and others (not all but many) in the Powell St./Union Square/"downtown" area are nice places but in less-than-splendid settings - traffic noise, crummy street environment, mountain goat terrain, etc.

You might consider Priceline for the Financial District or So. of Market at the 4 star level, which includes places like the Palace, the W, and the Park Hyatt, which has been going for $65 or so lately; or even the 3 star level, where people have been getting the Hyatt Regency at Embarcadero Center for $40-$50 a night.

Even if you decide the Union Sq. area is okay you should still consider Priceline, where the Grand Hyatt (so many Hyatts, so little time) has been hitting at $80 or less. How wrong can you go?

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 03:26 PM
xx

Hey Collette -

I guess you wear the strap on in your family, huh?

My husband would be out the door if he ever tried to be "fussy" (READ: FAGGY) with me.

What are you - a battered wife who is afraid to make her own decisions out of fear of a nightly bitch slap or beat down?

loser!