Renaissance New York-any comments

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 07:41 PM
Melody

Hey everyone-

Bidding on Priceline for oct 25-30, got the Renaissance Hotel for $145 p/night. Does anyone have any info on this hotel? I know it is located in Times Square, but how about subway proximity, accomodations, ect.

Thanks in advance,
Mel

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 03:25 AM

Hotel is at the northern edge of Times Square. At one time the address was given as 2 Times Square. It is between Broadway and 7th Avenue and 47th and 48th Streets. The theater discount booth (TKTS) is across the street. Nearest subway station is at 49th and 7th (N and R trains). There is also a station at 50th and Broadway (1 and 9 trains). Both are local stops. The N and R trains will take you to Greenwich Village, SOHO, Little Italy, Chinatown and World Trade Center and to near where you get the ferry to the Statue of Liberty. A very nice hotel in a good location.

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 01:55 PM
Celeste

It's a very nice Marriott in a great Times Square location with a very good restaurant, Foley's Fishmarket, which has a view of Times Square.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 06:15 AM
Ann

I stayed there last December. Tremendous location. We had a large room, which is very rare in NYC, and a terrific view. Service was excellent. When we went back to NYC in April, we stayed at the Waldorf. The Renaissance is by far the better hotel.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 11:36 PM
Kathy

I also booked the Renaissance through Priceline. I thought I bid too high, but had already made reservations for a 3 star hotel for the same price and thought, what the heck..and a boutique hotel (Casablanca) was a "deal" at 195 (a double bed!)that I was considering.. so I bid 140 for 7 nights and was SHOCKED to get the Renaissance. I haven't been there but it would have been one of my first choices for location. Most of the reviews have been positive. The postings on this site have been a godsend. Thank you all! My stay is in April. Now I can relax and plan my itinerary.

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 05:02 AM
xxx

I just booked the Renaissance yesterday for a stay in May. Although the lowest I found on their internet site was $229, I called and they gave me a rate of $155 for a deluxe king, so $140 is more than I would have been willing to pay for a reservation with no cancellation possibilities. That's too far ahead for me to risk losing that kind of money if I can't go. The extra $15 is well worth it to me, to know I can cancel up to 4 PM the day of arrival. Not sure either if your room will be classified as "deluxe" whatever that means -- but mine is.

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These two similar posts caught my eye, because I have booked the Times Square Renaissance directly. I was able to get a deluxe room at the rate of $186 in May -- midweek, would have been lower on the weekend.

I am curious about Priceline, which I've never booked, mainly because I really want to choose my hotel. But how does it work? Do you have to pay the full $980 for your seven night stay now even though you're not going until April? Or do you just have to do a one night's deposit? Or is it like booking directly, they don't charge you anything until you get there? I too would worry about having to cancel and how much would I lose if I did it the Priceline way?
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 11:26 PM

Patrick, yes, you pay as soon as the your offer is accepted. So, in fact, they have my K already. (I bid the $140) It was a risk and I think it could have turned out badly if I had been accepted by a more out of the way hotel, even being a 4 star and then not having an "out" I was lucky and will be more cautious in the future. I'll let you know how it turns out. If you don't go, you pay anyway. NO CANCELLATIONS or modifications to the reservation.
Kathy/aka Petal
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 05:24 AM

Thanks, pedal, that's how I thought it worked. Saving money is nice, but in these days I feel there's too much risk that I might have to cancel a three day pleasure trip to NYC that was planned four months ahead. I'd rather pay an extra $135 (in my case) for a reservation that can be cancelled if need be, and also not tie up and risk losing the entire $ 420. Or is it more, do you also pay all those NYC taxes in advance too?
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 05:32 AM

Yes, you also pay all the taxes upfront. I like Priceline, BUT I still shop for better deals - or same deals that can be cancelled, (and I often find them) and sometimes, as in your case Patrick, you just need the flexibility to cancel if need be.