Reload this Page >

Relocation to FL Panhandle or NW FL?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 06:38 AM
claire

Hi -- Seeking comments and/or pros and cons of moving to, and lifestyles in, either NW Florida (Jacksonville/St. Augustine area), or Panhandle (Destin, et al including Panama City -- we know PC Beach is spring break central).

We'd like to be maximum 1/2 hour-1 hour from beach (closer if possible). We are not moneyed yuppies--just laidback beach types looking to relocate from Midwest to a warmer climate near the ocean. Small towns are fine, but would like reasonable driving time (2-3 hrs?) to a city.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 06:39 AM
claire

sorry, header should read FL Panhandle or NE FL... thanks.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 08:24 AM
S

Just for the record, as you indicated, Panama City is a TOTALLY different city from PC Beach. I think the areas you're interested in are laid-back and easy-going. As long as you don't want water-front property, property values should be reasonable. Unless you're retiring to the area, you might want to focus on employment opportunities.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 09:00 AM
Jeannie

Claire, I am not qualified to comment on Jax/St Augustine, so my comments are directed only to the Panhandle.
You may want to look at the areas from St. George Island, FL to Gulf Shores, AL. If you limit yourself just to Destin or Panama City Beach, you miss out on some great places. Here are my observations, from east to west. 1. St.George Island, & further west, Cape San Blas, both beautiful, not yet over-developed, w/in a few hours drive of Tallahassee, state capital. 2. Mexico Beach, a small beachside community, but the beaches are not as pretty as other parts of the panhandle, I think because of the way the coast is shaped. 3. Panama City(PC)and Panama City Beach(PCB) are next. These are two separate and distinct communities, separated by a bridge. PCB fronts the Gulf of Mexico, and has some nice motels, some older, tacky motels, and lots of nice condomniums. Spring Break does not affect PC, only PCB. PC has beautiful huge live oak trees, and scenic bay areas. Tyndall Air Force Base nearby. These areas are not really close to any "city." I suppose the nearest "city" would be Atlanta, about 5.5 hour drive.
4. The beaches of South Walton, including Seaside, Rosemary Beach, etc. Very interesting architecturally, but very expensive per square foot. At least a 45 minute drive to either Panama City or Destin/FT Walton. Not many job opportunities in these areas.
5. Destin/Ft Walton Beach. Destin was a sleepy fishing village 25 years ago. Now, very upscale, developed area. Also very expensive and very, very congested in spring and summer. Housing costs are more expensive in Destin than Ft Walton Beach. More job opportunities, Eglin Air Force Base nearby.
6. Navarre Beach- very small community, quiet beaches area.
7. Pensacola Beach and Pensacola- again, like PC and PCB, two separate and distinct communities, separated by a long bridge. Pen. Beach not as developed as Destin or PCB, but a very nice area. Also, Pensacola has grown into a nice large town, with lots of job opportunites and cultural activities. Also, only about 3 hours drive to New Orleans, and convenient to I-10, which travels from Jax west through Alabama, Mississippi, Louisianna, Texas, etc. Pensacola Naval Air Station nearby.
8. Perdido Key, Orange Beach and Gulf Shores. Orange Beach and Gulf Shores are in Alabama, which requires state income taxes. Florida does not.
Finally, while the cost of living is lower in the Panhandle, our wages are pretty low. With regard to housing, you can get a lot more for your buck if you look about 30 miles north of the beaches area all along the Panhandle.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 09:04 AM
S

Very astute observations and comments from Jeannie. One addition: the closest thing to a "city" in this area would be Tallahassee, Florida or Mobile, Alabama. Closer than Atlanta, but also smaller.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 09:50 AM
HMimi

What'dya know. I live in Miami and am DYING to get out of here. I'd like to stay on the East coast. I love St. Augustine, but think the rental of an apt. might be too expensive, it would have to be over the bridge of lions...anyone know how the living is near port st. lucie and a little bit more further north? I can't wait to get out of here.

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 03:33 AM
claire

Jeannie & S -- thanks very much for the info.

Jeannie -- I almost wrote to you directly, as I've seen your name and comments about this area on these boards. Would it be okay with you if I write to you personally with some questions? You obviously know the area quite well.

Since I originally posted, I've checked "Best Places to Live", and while the panhandle is still very attractive to us, Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater also looks good as it was very highly rated. Any thoughts on that area? Not sure we want something that urban, but we do need employment, and that area has much more of it than the p-h. Clearwater doesn't look bad, nor does Sarasota, etc., just south of that area. Accessibility to other areas is better in T/SP/C than in panhandle...

any further thoughts/help most appreciated. Thanks.

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 05:25 AM
gun toter

There is a new version of TV's Survivor being played in the Florida Panhandle. Each contestant is given a volvo to drive around for a week. On it is a bumper sticker that says: "I'm for Gore, I'm Gay, and I'm here to take your guns." The winner is anyone who makes it through the week.

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 08:16 AM
claire

are you suggesting it's a little conservative there? ;-)

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 08:53 AM
Jeannie

Claire,
Feel free to write me directly. I agree that Clearwater area may be wiser choice, given the greater job opportunities and accessibility to the area.
To answer your question about whether the Panhandle is conservative. There are parts of the Panhandle that are conservative, but that is changing.
There isn't much gay-bashing in this part of the Panhandle, but Pensacola is definitely more conservate and has a large "religious right" following. Destin and South Walton have a lot of well educated retirees from other parts of the U.S., so there is more diversity there. Panama City, is not as diverse as Destin/South Walton County, but not as conservative as Pensacola. At least that is my take.

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 09:24 AM
S

The Panhandle is probably no more conservative than any other rural community. Don't expect to see any gay bashing. This is the South. That would be incredibly rude. If you're significantly off the norm, they'll look at you askance, shake their head, go home and say "You'll never guess what I saw today!"

You'll have your scum of the earth and salt of the earth, extremist religious right and extremist liberal, etc. in about the same proportions as you'll find elsewhere in the U.S. By far the majority will be in the middle somewhere.

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 12:15 PM
jeannie

S-- you are right on the money in describing the PH.

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 08:24 PM
Wondering

When did Fodor's Forums begin being a place for PERMANENT RELOCATION INFO?

This is a TRAVEL WEBSITE.

There are many other websites and boards for gathering info about a permanent move to wherever........

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 02:44 AM
claire

Wondering: what difference does it make to you? Folks here know the areas I am researching, are willing to help me. If you're not interested, don't read it. OTOH, if you can provide the address of any of the "many sources for discussion of relocation" please share them instead of just complaining.

S & Jeannie: thanks again for the candid and insightful observations. Very helpful and evocative. Jeannie, I will be writing to you personally soon.

thanks.

Old Jul 10th, 2012, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Claire and Jeannie...I enjoyed reading what you were both saying, I live in the midwest and have had similar curiosities concerning relocating further south...employment and the cost of living. I came to my own conclusion similar to what Jeannie had to say...but with much less investigation. I've always thought Texas or Alabama might be a good compromise, but still isn't living near the coast or in Florida. I felt like Panama City and PCB was too much of a mixed plate area for me to relocate to somewhere like that. I do think Pensecola or closer to St. Pete's or to Punta Gorda areas may be a good option for someone coming to that area from the midwest. It would be very challenging to start out living in a smallish area without knowing people and without a very good job.