Relocation North of Seattle

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2005, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've gotten good feedback from you folks on the potential of relocating to the Port Townsend/Langley on Whidbey areas. I'd welcome thoughts on Anacortes and Bellingham. Lower taxes (8%+ in NJ), weather and an off-the-beaten-path feel are drivers for our decision, but culture and restaurants and nice walks are important as well. Thanks.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 08:50 AM
ALF

Anacortes is growing rapidly, and seems to be attracting retirees lately. It was formerly a working-class town, but seems to be moving in a different direction. Still, I don't find it that attractive, having a tanker port, and refinery next door.

Bellingham is a neat small city, and if you like college towns, then it could be the place for you. I was just there last weekend, and it looked like the average age of people walking around downtown was 20.

You might want to consider the town of LaConner, which is on the coast, not far from Anacortes. It has lots of art galleries and nice restaurants.

Al (born in Newark, raised in Paramus)
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 12:19 PM

What kind of taxes is s/he talking about being lower?

True we don't have state income tax, but our state sales tax is higher than that.

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

NJ state income tax is 8%+

NJ sales tax is 6%
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 10:41 PM

I moved from New Jersey about five years ago so I am probably the least knowledgeable one on this forum but just thought I would give my opinion of places you mentioned. I would definitely check into the Whidbey Island area such as Langley and Coupeville. Whidbey Island is suppose to get less rain than Seattle with the farther north with even less. We are considering buying a house on Whidbey Island and the property tax is so incredibly low especially compared to NJ. La Conner is also a great area if you like artsie communities, which I do. I personally did not like Bellingham at all but it's all a matter of taste and it's always best to visit several areas differnt times of the season to get a better idea of what it is really like. I prefer living on the west coast and I don't miss those snowy winters in NJ AT ALL. Yah, it's rainy but not all year long like most people assume. If you want snow, you can drive to it very easily. I live on the eastside of Seattle and love the easy access in and out of the city. Yes, there is lots of traffic but still much easier than going into New York from Bergen County/NJ because Seattle is so much smaller. Seattle is a great city with so much to do and see and it's not too far from Whidbey Island. Sales tax is high at 8.8% (I think) but I prefer not paying state tax out of my paycheck. Don't know much about Anacortes other than getting the ferry to the San Juan Islands which are BEAUTIFUL and so very different from anything on the eastcoast. Living there would not be convenient if you are a commuter. Hope this helped a bit. Good luck!
Former Bergen County Resident
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 10:17 AM

My inlaws lived in both the OP (Sequim) and Bellingham before moving to McMinnville, OR, which they like better than both their previous choices.
They found Bellingham a little too bland and gray. The Fairhaven district is attractive, but it's pretty limited. They liked being able to do day trips to Vancouver, BC (a LONG day, though) and it was a fairly easy drive for them to visit their daughter in Mulkiteo (and vice versa). The grayness did bug them after a while and they also thought the medical care could be better.
Overall, they really like the McMinnville area. A nice little community with its own merits plus easy reach of the ever-increasing charms of Portland and also only an hour or so from the coast and ditto for the mountains.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 08:24 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If I left the Seattle urban area where I live now and love, I'd look to Oregon. As a grand generalization, I like the smaller towns there more than the ones in Washington. As mentioned many have a dull mill town kind of feel to them (Bellingham, Sequim, Aberdeen come to mind). McMinnville is a great suggestion, I also like Corvallis alot.