Son moving to Seattle for job

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son just accepted an job offer from Boeing and will be moving to Seatle from the midwest. He is just getting started -- doesn't even own a car -- if we sell him our 2000 neon (he's 22)will he have trouble getting it licensed out there? I don't know if they have the same smog requirements as CA and here in the midwest. Also, does any one have suggestions on where to search for apartments? Someone mentioned in another post about the traffic being terrible -- that it helps to live near where you work. Coming from a major metropolitan city I think that traffic in this country is bad all over. Thanks for any suggestions and we are excited that he was able to land a good job -- and get off of our payroll.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 12:39 PM

Which place will he be working, at Renton or Everett? We used to live up there, and most of our close friends work for Boeing. If it is the Everett area, then have him look in the Lynnwood area. Nicer areas of apartments than Everett, and lots of young people. As far as the car, he should be fine. We had to have ours inspected every 2 years, but I believe it was different requirements than the CA emissions.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 04:31 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If it's Everett then OK to live what I'd consider "up north" near the job.

But if he's at Boeing field, which I assume is more likely, I'd pick a neighborhood I love within the city and make the darn commute (either by car or using Metro bus). I say this because it's kinda ugly and not much to do in the area around Boeing. While you could probably find a cheaper apartment down that way, it's not the solution I'd recommend for a young person new to the city.

He could pick somewhere a bit south of downtown but north of his job, for instance West Seattle. Or it might be worth it to him for quality of life to find a more lively neighborhood to live (somewhere like Capitol Hill, Queen Anne, Fremont, Central District, etc.)

Can't imagine there'd be a problem with a car. I drove mine from back east many moons ago and registered it in Washington no problem.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 05:42 PM

Cars imported into the state undergo a state patrol inspection before licensing. It's really just a safety inspection, lights have to work, seatbelts installed that sort of stuff. No big deal. Every two years as stated above cars are subject to an emissions inspection. An air quality test is conducted at a testing station. Most cars with catalytic converters will pass unless they are in very poor tune. Owners should run their vehicles at freeway speed for 10 or 15 minutes before being tested because hot engines burn more efficiently. Failed vehicles have an opportunity to retest after a tune up.

You should be careful about the sale transaction between you and your son. A vehicle being registered in Washington with a transfer of ownership will be subject to state sales tax. If such a transaction is cheaper in your state you might want to transfer title before bringing it to the state.

A base license fee of $30 applies statewide. In King, Pierce and Snohomish counties a light rail license tax is added. Within the City of Seattle vehicle owners also pay a hefty ($100 bucks or so) license tax to the Seattle Monorail Authority. This project is in serious risk of failure and the taxpayers are likely to take it in the shorts. Your son should not live farther from work because of this tax since the fuel costs would exceed it, but it's still good to know about in advance.

Suze posted above about some nice Seattle neighborhoods, and she's right, except that you should be warned about the very high cost of housing in these areas. I doubt a 22yo starting a job a Boeing would want that much of his income going to rent. Rent north and south of Seattle can be half what you'd find in the city.

Finally, when you know the work location, you should check access to the commuter rail corridor between Tacoma and Everett. The line is pretty close to Boeing Field, Auburn and Renton. Commuter Rail riders are immune to even our worst Friday afternoon traffic and this might influence housing location.
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help -- especially scgorces the note on the sales tax -- it can save us several hundred by transfering in our "home" state.
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 01:30 PM

Miss Maple, I can't offer you any advice about the area your are speaking of, but having just gone through this process with our 22 year old son, I wanted to wish you all the best! So many things to think about Good luck to your son!
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the encouragement seetheworld. It doesn't seem that long ago when my husband and I, both young and jobless, through everything we owned on top of an old Dodge Duster and moved out to San Diego via the Grand Canyon. I can't imagine doing that or allowing my children do that today. But times have changed and we will have to let go. I am looking forward to visiting him in Seattle and taking a side trip up to Vancover -- Buchart Gardens has been on my list for a long time.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 06:33 PM

Buchart is near Victoria on Vancouver Island. The City of Vancouver is a wonderful visit (better IMO) and has a neat garden with a lush atrium under a geodesic dome. You will need to visit both BC cities. But that's a whole other blog.

You drove a Duster that far! My brother wrecked my Mom's Duster when he was 16. Fortunately the Duster did not have far to go from new to wreck.
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 04:25 PM

FYI: That Monorail fee on my renewal this month was $175. Total car tab this year is $250. On a 5 year old Subaru.

Now, how can I get a tab that DOESN'T have a picture of that stupid, non-existant Monorail on it?
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 04:36 PM

Some on-line resources for your son:

www.seattletimes.com
www.seattlepi.com
www.seattleweekly.com
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 05:18 PM

Boeing has plants north and south of Seattle, and, as I understand it, they willfully move employees from one place to the other.

If your son wants to live in a big city, Seattle is his only choice. However, there are 22-year-olds living all over the place, and, if he is happy with suburban living, he would be well advised to look for an apartment near his work place.

Best plan: Get a month-to-month lease so he can check out the area without being unduly tied down. Second best: A six-month lease.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 06:52 AM

Happytrails--You are right in that they move employees around between the plants quite a bit. We have about a dozen close friends that work there, and only two can carpool because of this.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

We are headed next week to pick an apartment -- son will stay and start his job at Boeing Field. He seems to be leaning towards the downtown center -- one called Wall Street Tower is undergoing renovation -- it will involve a commute but he has driven 45-50 minutes commute during his summer jobs.

I have noticed that some of the apartments near the lake Washington area seem to be train tracks or an airport -- so maybe noise might be an issue. A bonus for my husband and I, on our recent flight back from Anchorage - was a clear day and we had a beautiful view of Seattle and Mt. Ranier. Looking forward to seeing it up close.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 07:02 PM

Please let us know how the trip goes. I will be up there again vising friends this weekend and am looking forward to it too.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 08:31 PM

Miss Maple,
When our son was about that age, he packed up and flew out to Seattle and ended up living there for a year. Except for the rain he loved it there. I know you will miss him, I sure missed mine, but it is nice to know it is such a nice city for young'uns
Best of luck~
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Just thought I would report back on my son's move. We flew into SeaTac and after piling the suitcases headed out and found ourselves headed onto the freeway whether we wanted to go that way or not. It worked out -- just headed south on 5 and found our exit on the huge AAA Seattle map (it seems at least 4 feet long/wide - very tiny print).

My son was able to talk to a recently hired engineer and they told him where they lived -- so he checked it out online and it seemed that he could rent a two bedroom for less than an one bedroom downtown apt would run. With the recent run up in gas prices he also thought that it may be better to live closer to where he worked.

So we checked out several apartments just south of the area where he is scheduled to work and he decided to go ahead and rent a small 2 bedroom - 2 bath (includes a full size washer - dryer). It will take a little why to get adjusted -- but I have to say I thought the Kent and surrounding area to be quite nice and reminded me of the suburban area we come from in Michigan.

Shopping -- lots of restaurants -- Seattle seemed to be a real up and coming city. Spent an afternoon at the Boeing Museum of Flight -- and I was very impressed with it. We especially enjoyed the WWI exhibit -- extremely well done -- the interactives were fun -- flying an airplane is not as easy at it looks. Didn't do the simulator rides -- a little too much rock n roll for me. Also ventured to see the REI flagship store downtown -- makes you want to jump in an kayak and paddle away.

Many thanks to all of you fodorites out there. Travelling and moving to new places are always a little stressful so it is nice to have the expertise and reassurance of those around you.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the update. When my parents visited Seattle in 1926, they decided this is the place they wanted to raise a family. Perhaps your son will do the same.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 12:16 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Nice to hear a happy ending - or beginning as the case may be! Thanks for posting.

<Seattle seemed to be a real up and coming city> ah shucks, well we do love it here!
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 12:54 PM

I used to live in Seattle and loved it and miss it but it's definitely the Evergreen State for a reason! Lots of rain. Gloomy. The scenery is gorgeous and I lived all over the city - Lake City, Lake Forest Park, Greenlake, Northgate, Ballard and the U District. All were great. It's definitely worthwhile to save money and live close to work but it's true - the south part of the city isn't very pretty or lively and the traffic is horrendous. I would recommend any of the neighborhoods I lived in and if he can - find a roommate to share an apartment with to save on costs. Living in the city, being 22 - would be much more fun and interesting. The bar scene is fun. Good luck!