Relocating to Tallahasee

Search

Relocating to Tallahasee

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2019, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Relocating to Tallahasee

Need a fresh start and I am thinking of relocating to Tallahassee. I have no friends or family in the area and have only visited there once. I have read that it is a nice place to start over and it is affordable. The affordable part is important because I am a working, 40 year old student. That aside, I would really like to know some actual pros and cons of relocating here.

Thanks!
Old May 28th, 2019, 01:17 PM

You should post your question in this relocation forum:

Tallahassee Forum - Relocation, Moving, General and Local City Discussions - City-Data Forum
Old May 28th, 2019, 01:18 PM

I haven't been there, but have a friend in Gainesville and I imagine those cities have the pros of not being right on the coast so not quite as prone to the weather disasters they have in Florida, the hurricanes, etc.

It probably depends where you are from as to how you view the weather. Florida is pretty hot a lot of the year, which I would not care for at all. I'm sure Florida residents on here will have different views on that (I know my friend tells me it is really hot in Gainesville at least 5-6 months of the year, meaning maybe in the 90s or so in the afternoon. I think tallahassee is similar).

One thing I do know is the airport is pretty limited in flight options. I'm surprised it's even an international airport (which it claims to be). Southwest doesn't fly there, which would bother me but I use them a lot. The only airlines are American and Delta, and you are pretty much going to have to transfer to get anywhere, mainly in Atlanta for Delta, or Dallas and Charlotte for AA. I wouldnt' like that myself, but if you like those airlines and don't travel a lot, may not matter that much to you. I know SWA does fly to Panama City Beach and Pensacola, but those are a longer drive than I'd care to make for my US flights.

good luck, takes guts to do that. Do you plan to take classes at Florida State U or are you going to be done with that? I have no idea about cost of living or vibe or friendliness or jobs market