Relocating to Seattle

Search

Relocating to Seattle

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Relocating to Seattle

I may be starting a PhD program at U of Washington, and I'm trying to get an idea of the cost of living. I'd hope to rent a house, or at least a townhouse for the three of us (my wife, daughter and me), but I'm having trouble getting a good sense of what a nice house relatively near campus would run. I'm quitting my job as a partner at a CPA firm, so I realize that my current definition of "nice" will have to give way to a grad student's idea of "nice".

I would also appreciate any suggestions on good neighborhoods.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 10:57 AM

um....the grad students I know- "nice" is definitely not anywhere near your defintion of nice...

Having said that- Thought about on campus housing? Not sure about UW, but most U's have college sponsored family apartments....

And look on campus bulletin boards- lots of people with houses to rent, advertise that way, or by word of mouth- ask your UW contact or advisor....

Good Luck!
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 11:10 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Houses/townhouses within a reasonable commuting range of the UW will rent for anywhere from $1100 (townhouse 2 br) to $2500+ per month (detached 3 br house.)

UW-owned married student housing is considerably less, if that interests you. I would also ask the department where you'll be studying about leads they may have (graduating students, sabbatical staff, etc.) Most UW married student housing is in the University Village or Laurelhurst neighborhoods.

Bus access to the UW is pretty good from most areas of the city or near eastside suburbs (although the commute across Lake Washington by car as opposed to bus is a deal-breaker.) In general, though, I'd recommend limiting my search to the area north of the Lake Washington Ship Canal. Areas worth exploring would be the U district itself, Ravenna (where I live) Laurelhurst, Hawthorn Hills and View Ridge ($$), Wallingford, Fremont, Green Lake, Maple Leaf and Ballard. Note these are very popular neighborhoods in Seattle so prices will not be cheap. Your willingness to sign a long lease will go a long way.

Another consideration will be your wife and daughter - will she work outside of the home? Preschool or school-aged?
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 11:13 AM

Here is a website to check out on renting in Seattle- very informative!

http://www.seattle.gov/housing/07-Fr...ntersGuide.pdf
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 11:18 AM

UW has some nice married housing but it's also very small.

Maybe check out the Eastside. I did my LLM in taxation at UW two years ago. We ended living in Kirkland in an apt and I commuted. Our apt was $800/month. Your student ID allows you to ride the buses for free (it's part of your tuition). I could get across Lake Washington in 15 minutes riding the express buses.

The apartments were a little bigger and a little cheaper in Kirkland and Bellevue.

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 12:48 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would look at Roosevelt, GreenLake, Ravenna, Maple Leaf, Wallingford, Fremont for nice family residential neighborhoods with an easy drive in to the U-dub. Check out Craig's list or NW Classifieds online to get a reference point.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 02:42 PM

I haven't read them all, but I did read suze and her advice is sound. I would start with Wallingford. It is close the the UW, has a convenient shopping neighborhood, and is close to Green Lake (for walking, biking, running, etc.)
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 03:15 PM

Just south of campus might have some options also. Madison Park/Valley. Whatever that area is called near the arboretum. Even parts of Capital Hill. Madison Valley is considered a transitional area, but I think it's far along in the transition.

What your significant other does/will work should be a consideration also, especially if she works "regular hours" when the commute can be a real bear.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Moose--I'm looking for something in the middle. I don't think I could handle "real" grad student accommdations, after all of these years of soft living!

Thanks for all of the advice. My wife will be working, and fairly standard hours, so I don't want her commute to be a problem. Our daughter will be nearly 4 when I start the program.

I was thinking in the $1,500-$2,000 range for rent. Not sure about on-campus housing. I've gotten used to quiet.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 08:23 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The married student housing is not on campus. Most of the sites are a mile or more from the UW campus, in residential areas.

However with your budget you ought to be able to find something acceptable in several parts of town.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 11:56 PM

Oh, relieved you're not romanticising student type housing- I meet enough of those folks in RL!

Yeah- you should have no problem finding convenient/decent hoousing within your budget....

Hey- here's a good website to play around on-

http://www.seattlerentals.com/

Even some (fairly decent looking) places in the Uni district, within your budget!

Good luck!
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 12:05 AM

And in my experience- grad student housing is dead quiet- 'cause most grads have lives and/or to much homework......
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice.

I remember my undergrad days far too vividly to romanticize any on-campus housing.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 09:16 AM
samting

If you don't mind public trans. or commuting, try the 'burbs'. Little less money and more quiet. However, we have family and friends who won't live anywhere else but the U. district, or Capitol hill where there is more happening,more night life. Bellevue has good access to the U.