Relocating to Nashville?

Search

Relocating to Nashville?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Relocating to Nashville?

I'm from New Orleans and looking at possible relocation to Nashville. Any ideas on which areas of Nashville to focus on? Looking for something close to good medical facilities, restaurants, and not too far to travel for entertainment. Preferrably small house (1800 sf) in nice neighborhood. In the $200K range? Is that possible? Also close to good fishing. Any help would be appreciated. Not too sure if I should look south, north, west or east side. Which areas are growing and nice?
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 05:50 PM

I've got good news for you...Nashville is a great city to live in. You shouldn't have a problem getting a mid-size house in that price range. Housing is really about as reasonable in TN as anywhere in the country. There's also no state income tax, although the sales tax is very high and applies even to groceries. If you like to fish, you are in luck, too, because there are plenty of bodies of water in the vicinity. I have relatives on the east side in Mt. Juliet, which has grown a lot and is close to lake access. That would also put you in Wilson county for school purposes, which is better than being in Nashville proper. The Brentwood/Franklin area has experienced the most significant boom in the last 20 years or so and while charming and fashionable, is on the high end of your price range if it is in it at all.

What do you like? Older or newer construction? Suburb or urban? Where will you be working exactly...Murfreesboro is also a nice community with lots of amenities if you are willing to do a 20-30 minute commute to a job somewhere on that side of Nashville.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 01:17 PM

I would second the recommendation of Murfreesboro. Grew up there and would give anything to move back there.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like the area will be nice. I'm more in the mood for new or fairly new construction. Any particular areas for that? I don't want to be in Nashville downtown, but like suburb ---- even a little more space is OK. Don't have to worry about work since I'm retired. But want to be close to good medical facilities and restaurants. Any more ideas are very welcome.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 05:36 PM

Friends of all ages enjoyed Murfreesboro - not far from Nashville.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 05:41 PM

Franklin, TN.

A little more upscale the Nashville. If you do have to go into the city, I would take I-65 over I-24. Also, the shopping and resturants are better on that side IMHO. Franklin Medical Center is pretty good and is affliated with Vanderbilt for more intensive needs.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 05:45 PM

Green Hills area, a little bit south of the city is nice. Burton Hills, to be specific is expanding. Green Vanderbily University Medical Center is there in Green Hills. Farther south is Brentwood and Franklin where a lot of new houses are going up.

Hendersonville is northeast of the city, maybe a 30 minute drive, and is on Old Hickory Lake (which is actually a very wide section of the Cumberland River.

I've got friends in all of these places, but I'm a little less keen on Hendersonville because the access to the city is a bit harder.

East Nashville is sort of the higher crime rate part of town; a little bit run down, but it's rejevenating. Undervalued, I suppose would be the word. This is more of a young person's game though, probably not the best place for retirement.

I lived in Old Hickory and Lakewood, which were OK, but not quite what you're looking for I don't think.

Entertainment is everywhere in Nashville and fine dining is nearly ubiquitous as well. You should probably visit and drive around to see for yourself. Maybe even rent somewhere for a year while you explore.
Good luck,
Dan
familyroadtrippers.blogspot.com
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who replied. I got some very valuable information. I'm going to be taking a 2 week trip to check out all those places mentioned. Sounds like the area has a lot to offer. That was an excellent tip about renting for about a year before deciding just where to move. Thanks again.