Maui trip report - Part 1

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrived late Friday afternoon, checked into our "economy cottage" ($145/nt), behind Mama's Fish House in Pa`ia (link to photos will be posted in the next day or two). Headed to Mama's for dinner (preferential seating for those renting any of their cottages). Fabulous service, great food, but still very pricey (dinner for 2, one salad, one soup, no dessert -- $150 w/tip).

Spent all day Saturday at Kamehameha School's Maui campus outside Makawao (music conference panelist). Love Makawao!! Think "country Hawaiian". Rural, rustic, but still very Hawaiian. Next trip, we'll find a place to rent here, for sure. After-conference party at Haiku home of friends who have a recording company -- magical evening of music & chant & impromptu hula.

Sunday up early, breakfast in Pa`ia (artsy-fartsy-meets-surfer-dude/dudette). Can highly recommend Moana Cafe now. Drove back up to Makawao (island cowboy t-shirts for grandkids), then leisurely drive to Ulupalakua and Tedeschi Winery (wanted to see their small but very good history room's old photos, etc.). Back down the hill, with a stop in Pa`ia for sandwich to go from the famed picnic lunch place. Very good -- awesome lilikoi/pineapple/mango smoothie.

Met friends for dinner at Hali`imalie General Store -- and we all swooned over our meals! Loved it so much, I'm cancelling next Friday's lunch reservation at Mama's, and making one for Hali`imaile instead (lunch served weekdays only).

Off to Hana today for 2 nights at Hotel Hana Maui, then we're with friends in Kahakuloa for 2 nights, then overnight in Kahului, then home. Will post more!
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 09:13 AM
sistahlou

Love, love, love Bev Gannon's Grinds at HGS. Say hi to Wendy the barmaid, she is one wonderful gal. We're even in her book of ohana as we stop in coming and going on everytrip to devour the Sashimi Neopolean!

Enjoying knowing you have so many more adventures to share!

Old Jan 29th, 2007, 06:21 PM

Auntie:
Were you bothered by smoke from the PoliPoli fire? We'll be staying near Makawao starting next week. I'm looking forward to exploring the area in more depth than past day trips have allowed. Lunch at Haliimaile General Store is definitely on the agenda. Guess we'd better do it early in the trip, in case we want to repeat the pleasure.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 12:47 PM
sistahlou

Auntie must be having a grand time after tossing out this nibble!

Old Jan 30th, 2007, 01:45 PM

"...magical evening of music & chant & impromptu hula."

I'm sooooooooooo jealous! Have fun in Hana. I'm so glad to hear the good news about HGS! I am sooooooooooo there!

-Bill