Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Maui Trip Report – 3 nts @ Renaissance Wailea June 06

Jun 22nd, 2006, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Hotel – Is it closing or not? Well they keep pushing back the anticipated closing date. Now they will be open until (at least) January 2007. It will be a shame if they really demolish this beautiful hotel.

Room – The deco is nothing to write home about. The bed is super comfy. Room is very clean. Bathroom is kept very well with really strong water pressure. Room service was great.

The rest of the hotel – Staff are all very nice and helpful, including valet who run to get your car promptly. Reception area is gorgeous. The pool is on a smaller side but I found it to be plenty big and they were rarely used. Water temp was just right. There are 2 Jacuzzis which were great. The pool and Jacuzzis are open 24 hrs. Plenty of towels and lounge chairs. Don’t expect cold towels or cold water coming at you. There are, however, waitresses going around the pool area to take orders. The grounds are beautiful and kept very clean. The gym has all the essentials. The main restaurant is typical Marriott fare. Buffet breakfast, dinner, etc. The piano bar is nice with live music and sunset view.

Beach – Beach in front of the hotel and the Ulua beach (public) right next to are really nice. Snorkeling was also great. White sand and pretty calm water and plenty of beach chairs. Hotel does offer kayaks/diving (w/ lessons)/snorkeling equipment on site for fee.

Highlights:
Iao Valley - Beautiful scenery, stream of water, cliff to dive (if you dare)
Haleakala – Drove up and down. Definitely recommended.
Old Lahaina Luau – Grounds are very nice. Loved the Luau/hula dancers. Food was much better than what I expected especially the pig! Gorgeous sunset. The stage and the seating area are very intimate so everyone has good view. Waiters bring you drinks non-stop so you don’t have to go wait in line at the bar.
Note that it took about an hour and half to get to Lahaina from Wailea due to traffic. Lane becomes a single lane a few miles north of Kihei. Plan accordingly
Kayaking/Snorkling – 3 hour trip from Makena Point ($40/pp). We stopped at 3 different spots for snorkeling, one of which was a turtle sanctuary. This was a lot of fun and it’s not that difficult.
Path in front of hotel – The path connects all Wailea area hotels/condos by the ocean. It’s so nice to jog/walk in the morning. Grand Wailea, Four Seasons, the Fairmont all looked like very nice hotels. Fairmont has great fruit platters! But I thought Renaissance’s beach was the best.
Kona coffee – They are really good
Shaved ice – Try all different flavors

Note: I was disappointed with Oahu which was the first part of our trip. Maui was so much better. The Hanauma Bay was really BIG disappointment. It doesn’t compare to snorkeling at Maui.

Jun 22nd, 2006, 08:11 AM
amaclise

Glad you took the kayak trip to awesome Makena. $40 for 3 hours sounds like quite a bargain!

Jun 22nd, 2006, 08:13 AM

Hi yoonny,

Thank you SO much for this Renaissance update and your report.

My DH and I LOVE this hotel and I agree that it is a shame they will demo it. With that said, maybe if they keep pushing out the date they will have a change of heart (Ha, a girl can dream right????)

Sorry you were dissapointed with Oahu, but I am so glad you enjoyed your time on Maui!

Aloha and welcome home!
Jun 22nd, 2006, 09:26 AM

Thanks for the report! We will be at the Grand Wailea next year over Easter Break. I am really interested in doing some sort of kayaking trip, though we are all (husband & myself & 2 teen boys) inexperienced kayakers. Did you stay pretty close to the shoreline, or end up going pretty far out?

Jun 22nd, 2006, 05:06 PM

What company did you use for the kayak/snorkel trip?
Jun 26th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Kayaking is pretty easy and safe (you will be tired after 3 hrs of paddling and snorkeling, however). The tours will take you out to the sea however you are not too far from the shoreline and the water is pretty calm. I will recommend tandem kayaks (2 person per kayak).

I used Pacific Coast Kayak (808) 879-2391. $40pp is after $10 discount (just mention it).