Living in Nashville?

Search

Living in Nashville?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2003, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Living in Nashville?

I know this isn't a relocation forum, but it seems to be a great source for relocation information. So,...

I am hoping to hear from some people who live/have lived in Nashville. I am a young professional from the south, but currently living in the DC area. What are your thoughts on living in Nashville? I like to live in town, and appreciate convenient restaurants and shopping. What are the best areas in Nashville for people my age? Any comparisons to DC or Atlanta (where I have also lived) would be helpful.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 12:26 PM

I also live in DC, but have family in Nashville. After spending a lot of time visiting the area, I would recommend the west-end. The area near Vanderbilt seems pretty young, and trendy. Avoid downtown, unless you like very white people with Elvis shirts on.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 01:16 PM

Definitely live in the Hillsboro Village area (21st Avenue near West End Ave & Vanderbilt University).

www.hillsborovillage.org

It's close to downtown as well as the suburbs of Green Hills & Belle Meade (and the fantastic Percy Warner Park).

Good Luck!

Old Aug 19th, 2003, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

How does the city compare to Atlanta? Does it seem small, with not a lot going on? Is it more of a family place, or are there a lot of young people?
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 02:03 PM

Well it's definitely smaller, but I prefer it over Atlanta (although I've never lived in Atlanta, just visited many many times). Nashville has alot of young professionals, and Vanderbilt has world-class professional schools (law, business, medical), which is why I suggest living in that area. The bars & restaurants in the area surrounding Vandy's campus (which includes Hillsboro Village) are great, and downtown has alot to offer as well.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 02:10 PM

After living in D.C., you will be disappointed with Nashville. I'm not sure what you are looking for in the way of a city, but Nashville is smaller than DC or Atlanta and so has less of what those cities have to offer in the way of culture, shopping, restaurants, etc. Nashville's public transportation is almost non-existant and the highway system is not good. In order to cut down on your aggravation level, you may want to live near your job. The West End area is probably what you might consider "in town", and Green Hills is also a nice area.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 02:14 PM

Just a warning. There is no Saks or Nordstroms in Nashville. Department shopping is the pits. I would agree that you need to look in the West End/Vandy/Hillsboro Village area.

Good Luck!!!
Smoot in TN
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 04:44 AM

I've lived in both Atlanta and Nashville, but not DC. Nashville is definitely smaller than Atlanta and DC and, consequently, has less to offer in the way of restaurants, culture, etc. That being said, I think it's a great place to live. The cost of living is relatively inexpensive (although the cost of housing is increasing), it has Vanderbilt Univ right there, and the country music scene means that you will get lots of great concerts and hear some real up-and-comers. It is also a nice location if you are outdoorsy or like sports -- it has an NFL franchise and minor-league baseball and hockey. Plus, there is plenty of hiking, biking, kind of stuff available nearby.

I agree with the Hillsboro or Green Hills area. Some of the housing stock in Hillsboro is older and a little run-down due to its proximity to the University -- lots of students live there. So, I caution you to check any place out carefully. Green Hills would be my first choice.

It is true that the shopping leaves something to be desired.