Search

Redwoods

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Redwoods

I read all the helpful posts. I am wondering what is there to see between Cresecent City and Eureka? I will be coming from Portland and figured I do need to spend one night in Garberville before I arrive in San Francisco on Sunday when I need to be there. Which city is better to stay in and see things?
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 10:22 PM

The drive between Crescent City and Eureka is very very scenic. The famous Trees of Mystery is in that stretch just outside of Klamath. There are several State Parks - Humboldt Lagoons, Prairie Creek and Redwood National Park to name a few. The scenic drive to Patricks point is outstanding as well.

As far a staying in Garberville - not a good choice. It is pricey but the Benbow Inn just outside of Garberville is really lovely and I always recommend the Miranda Gardens on the Avenue of the Giants. I have never stayed there but I have heard that the Whispering Pines Resort near Miranda is nice. As I say I haven't stayed there so can't really vouch for it. Garberville has the usual motels etc but it isn't a very pretty town. Hope that helps.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Original Poster

ok, so coming from Portland, stay one night in Crescent City, and the next at Miranda Gardens, then I can make it to San Francisco by noon the next day? I wasn't sure if I should push it and go to Eueka the first night. sounds like there is a lot to see through this area though, so starting early morning after night in Crescent City best? Miranda Gardens or Benbow Inn, will check, big price difference between them, both sound great!
thanks!
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 07:31 AM

I think you should stay in Crescent City even though Eureka isn't that much further but there is a lot in between the two cities. Because Miranda Gardens is right on the Avenue of the Giants you can always check in and go out from there because it is only about 150 miles or so from Crescent City. An early start on Suncay will get you into the city by noon. It is a four hour drive and the nice thing is you come in over the Golden Gate which is so much prettier than the Bay Bridge. (scenery wise) So - take your time from Crescent City - then perhaps check in at Miranda and drive out from there further down the Avenue and see the rest of it. You will have plenty of time that way. Enjoy that beautiful area.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 10:43 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - Why is Garberville "not a good choice"??

The Benbow is one of my very favorite places to stay in that general area. Not inexpensive to be sure - but a REALLY wonderful place.

Crescent City to SF is just too long a drive and I definitely wouldn't stay in Eureka. It is the only bottleneck on the entire route and I always want to get out of there as quickly as possible.

I personally would stay in Garberville (it's at the southern end of the Avenue of the Giants) or stop even farther south like Ft Bragg. Would make the next day's drive a LOT easier.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 11:34 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Staying in Crescent City is okay but certainly nothing special. I'd probably stay in Brookings instead. Staying in Eureka IMO is a poor option; Ferndale would be preferable if you like/don't mind Victorian chintz a-gogo.

Hadn't been in Garberville except for gas in quite some years; stopped for lunch a couple of weeks ago (hot enough to melt tires) and realized how much a counter-cultural haven it is. Loggers all replaced with grey pony tails from the looks of things. Is it some crop or other grown locally that drives the economy?
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 01:38 PM

I recommended Crescent City not because it was anything special although there is an abundance of motels there - but I believe seremarcus is taking 199 over from Grants Pass. The section between Crescent and Eureka should be seen when there is plenty of time to really enjoy it. Also suggested Miranda for the second night because it is easy to tour around the area if they get checked in.

Don't even ask about Garberville. We do this drive once a year sometimes twice and have been since the 50's (yes I was a kid - my first boyfriend was from Leggett!!! - summer romance met in the State Park) Anyway the last few experiences in Garberville - Motorcycle Gang - Loggers convention etc etc. It is nice to stay in the trees themselves like Benbow or Miranda Gardens.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 03:09 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just to clarify - by Garberville I meant the Benbow Inn, not in the one or two motels IN Garberville.

No bikers/pot heads there for sure . . . . .
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

I booked a room at the Best Western in Crescent City. Benbow Inn is on the expensive side, so still deciding about that, and Miranda does have available rooms. I am wondering about driving on down to Ukiah from Crescent city after seeing everything, would that be too far?
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 04:55 PM

Ukiah isn't too far at all. It is about 4 hours from Crescent City. You are out of the trees when you get to Ukiah though. It just depends on how long you want to spend in the redwoods. If you can't spend as much time as you like it certainly gives you a reason to go back! I guess the fact that we use that route every year says something about how beautiful it is.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 06:38 AM
GP

Hi seremarcus
Garberville is getting a bad rap in this thread and I think that is unfair. It is ok for an overnight. I have spent the night in Garberville several times and can recommend the Best Western from several visits. I can also say from personal experince the are biker/potheads that stay at Benbow. I am staying there next month for a bluegrass festival. Garberville in not much different for any of the towns up here. The southern humboldt community is the most involved, funloving and laid back bunch in the county. Stay in Garberville Check the link out
http://www.garberville.org/

Have Fun
GP
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Original Poster

Well, it did get me worried about Garberville! That was why I was thinking of Ukiah!
Thanks for the info.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

I just got back from my trip through the Redwoods. We spent the night in Crescent City and did drive to Ukiah the next day. There was so much to see after leaving Crescent City we ended up getting to Ukiah 9:00pm, way too late! We took the recommended drives and stops from this board, what a gorgeous area it all is, and oh those dirt roads are soo dusty! Thanks for all the info