Driving north of SF - advice please

Old May 19th, 2004, 09:19 AM
epi
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving north of SF - advice please

We are planning to drive up the coast to Eureka or maybe as far as Crescent City. We will probably take 6 days round trip. We have been to SF many times, and have seen Napa, Sonoma,and most of Marin county, but have not done the northern coast. I have read other postings and gotten good info, but could use more. What are the most interesting towns assuming we go up rte 1? Where should we pick up rte 1? If we want to drive max of 3 hours in a day, what is a good routing? Do you know if we will have a problem finding hotels for 1 or 2 nights over labor day? We'd like to go without reservations, but worry about it due to labor day. What route shall we take back to SF- 299 to redding and down the highway? Where should we stop off the throughway going back? Restaurant, hotel, B and B suggestions? What should I have asked, but didn't?
Old May 21st, 2004, 01:33 PM

You asked too many questions. Mendocino is a lovely town. Many people like Albion. Check out the Redwoods. Ferndale is a Victorian town south of Eureka. I like the drive between Eureka and Crescent City, but there isn't much in Crescent City.
Old May 21st, 2004, 03:44 PM

Driving only 3 hours a day on Highway One won't get you very far, as it's slow going because of the road and the traffic. If you get behind someone with an RV who is going 35 mps around the bends you will know what eternity is all about.

Pick up Highway One over in Marin County. Your first stop could be in Bodega Bay, which is right on the coast and would actually be a good place to spend the night: good lodgings and food. We like The Inn at the Tides on both counts. The following day you could head up to Mendocino and spend the night there--charming inns and good restaurants.

An interesting place to stay in Garberville is the Benbow Inn, done in English Tudor style.

I think you might have a lot of trouble finding hotels over Labor Day without a reservation.

Coming back through Redding in early September will be HOT, and Highway 113 (if that's the one you have in mind) is very dull. Highway 101 would be a better choice.

Old May 21st, 2004, 08:27 PM

Jenner, The Rivers End dinner at sunset would be a Must, Don't Miss, for me!
Old May 22nd, 2004, 07:14 AM

www.gualala.com

www.saintorres.com