Notices

Redondo Beach, CA restaurant recommendations?

Old Feb 14th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Redondo Beach, CA restaurant recommendations?

Will be spending two nights in Redondo Beach in a couple of weeks. Looking for seafood restaurant recommendations. Nothing fancy, Just good food. We'll be staying at the Crowne Plaza and prefer something within walking distance.
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 12:38 PM
lvk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No question. Bluewater Grill: http://www.bluewatergrill.com/locati...ondo_beach.htm
Take a look at the online menu for the excellent selection.

For lunch or very casual fare, there is Captain Kidd's. http://captainkidds.com/

Also very interesting is this French/Japanese place on the RB Pier: www.maisonriz.com/

All are a very short walk from the Crown Plaza.

Places I wouldn't recommend: Any of the fish market places on the pier, (Quality Seafood, etc.) or Joe's Crab Shack.
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 03:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kincaid's is a good spot. It is on the pier, but not one of the markets that lvk references.

Hennesey's Tavern in downtown Redondo, a two mile drive from Crown Plaza is a pleasant restaurant with all around excellent food including seafood.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny, Chowhound reviews of Quality Seafood are good and reviews of MaisonRiz are horrible. Not sure where we will end up. Maybe Kincaids, maybe Bluewater Grill. Also thinking of a place called Delzano's.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 04:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For just good seafood, Bluewater Grill is our favorite place. For a little more special dining we like Kincaids.

I would not recommend Quality Seafood at all. I know they recommend it on Chowhound, but I don't agree with all their So Bay picks.
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 05:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agree with Bluewater Grill--just ate there Sat night. Chez Melange or the gastropub Bouzy (same building) in Riviera Village. Also in the village--RB Brewing Company--for lunch.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 11:24 AM
lvk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't read chowhound reviews, but I can understand that Maison Riz is definitely not for everybody. We had great food and service when we were there, though. Haven't been to Delzano's, nor have I heard much about it. If you like beer, you definitely should stop in for one next door at Naja's: www.najasplace.com/

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Tony's on the Pier.

I like Chez Melange's food, but am not crazy about their new space. Maybe it's the low ceilings, but I feel like I'm in a converted insurance office, or one of those fake restaurants that you see on hidden camera shows.
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you would recommend Tonys on the Pier?
And thanks for the beer tip. Sounds good.
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 03:04 PM
lvk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't been to Tony's in quite a while, so I'll defer to those with more recent experience. My take on it is that it's a solid old-school fish house, with an straightforward, unimaginative menu. The interior is very tired, and really, really dark. However, the views and the feeling of being above the surf --with the waves crashing right under you-- might make up for it.

Naja's is a total dive, but all of our repeat visitors insist on having a beer there almost as soon as they get off the plane. (Note, though, that most of our visitors are coming from Germany )
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reading the list of beers at Naja's made me thirsty! We will definitely stop in there for a drink.

I think we'll eat at Bluewater Grill one night, and the other night is up for grabs. Delzanos website looks interesting.

Now I need some breakfast recs for places near the Crowne Plaza; will post a separate thread for that.

Thanks.