Long Beach California best restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I normally hang out on Fodor's Europe page and reply to Qs on Amsterdam and Paris and other places where I've been.

I would like to have the names of the top restaurants in Long Beach, California. Best ambience, food, and service. It's a one-off so price be damned.

Thank you.

Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 02:26 AM

Hello hopscotch, to get you started here in one restaurant I have always loved and from everything I have heard it is still a wonderful restaurant. It is in a building that was once a bank. http://lopera.com/
Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 07:56 AM

555 is a great steakhouse, not far from the Aquarium.
Lasher's Steakhouse is also very good and their menu is online.
The Long Beach Museum of Art is a nice spot for lunch, overlooking the ocean, they also have brunch on weekends.
For seafood try Mckenna's at the Alamitos Bay Landing, and for a splurge try The Sky Room atop the Breakers Hotel.

Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 10:41 PM

I think the highest-Zagat rated restaurant for food is Frenchy's. However the ambience is more casual.

The new Trachts in downtown Long Beach (it's in one of the hotels) is getting good reviews if you like meat/beef and that sort of comport food.

If someone was paying for me I'd pick one of those two.
Old Nov 24th, 2007, 07:25 PM

For Italian I would recommend Christy's http://www.christysristorante.com/index.html. For seafood try King's Fish House http://www.kingsfishhouse.com/ I've had excellent meals at both.

Have a great time!
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much. I hope to get out there at the end of the month. I'm getting hungry already.

Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 02:58 PM

I was thinking the same thing hopscotch, I love good restaurants!

Have a wonderful time in Long Beach and let us know what restaurants were your favorites.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 05:06 PM
oceankayaker7

According to Zagat's:
Frenchy's Bistro is the highest with a 27 food.
Benley Vietnamese kitchen has a 26 rating.
555 East (steakhouse) has a 25 rating.
The following have a 24 rating:
Lasher's (American Traditional)
L'Opera (Northern Italian)
Christy's (Tuscan)
Sunnin (Lebanese)

Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 06:06 PM

I've been to just about all of the above and you can't go wrong. The Sky Room on the top of the Breakers is really excellent and the view fantastic.

Our favorite is probably 555 and for seafood, Kings. Love Madison's too. But then, there is Lasher's and Seville...
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 06:20 PM

Ssshhhh, Don't tell anyone about Benley. Darn it.

Old Dec 5th, 2007, 08:28 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Mt personal favorite...L'Opera.

Great food, and it's where I met my wife.

Old Dec 5th, 2007, 09:15 AM

Hi mat! I love L'Opera. I had a beautiful anniversary there one year. My husband remembered when the location was the bank that his family did business with as he pretty much grew up in Long Beach. We use to have family there but they have all moved away so I haven't been there for awhile.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 07:42 PM

Our favorite restaurant also is in a building that was once a bank. The name of it is The Madison and is on 102 Pine Ave. Reservations are recommended. Phone #(562)628-8866. We also like Parker's Lighthouse at Shoreline Village. There are so many great restaurants in Long Beach.We also love L'Opera. Have a great time!
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 06:44 AM

When my wife & I lived there, we went to The Queen Mary 2 and ate at the 'Sir Winston's Restaurant' for both a great dinner and an excellent experience for our 6th Anniversary...and will never forget it!

It really takes you mentally to a completely different place. Lots of neat things to do, heck you can even get a 'room' for the night as well.
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 10:43 AM

mlgb, I feel your pain! Everyone's discovered Benley. What a special place!

For best combination of ambience, food and service, L'Opera is probably tops, with 555 East following. Having said that, I still love both Christy's and Lasher's. The Madison has a stunning dining room, but I find the food a bit uneven. Frenchy's has incredible food, but the ambience is pretty pedestrian; the service is wonderful, which counts for a lot in my book.

I still have to try the Sky Room-- everyone raves about it. Tracht's is on my list to try, but I blew my dining budget on the Lobster in Santa Monica last night (office Xmas party was cocktails up in Pacific Palisades, so we had dinner afterward). Quite good, by the way; I was pleasantly surprised. In any case, I have to save some serious change for Xmas shopping, so it's Baja Sonora for dining out for the next few days!

Has anyone tried Delius since they moved to the new digs on Cherry (south of Spring)? That used to be a class act, wasn't it?
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 12:01 PM

Hi there rjw. Yes I've tried Delius twice for dinner since they moved. I really like the new room, ambience wise (upscale but not stuffy) and the service is very good. Food at dinner is mixed. Some things were good, some things not really that great. I think I would try them for brunch, happy hour or lunch next. If you do go for dinner, the crab cakes, mac n cheese, and mushroom soup were the crowd favorites. Avoid the salmon, curried vegetable soup, the caesar salad was disappointing also.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for continuing to pile on. My trip to Long Beach is delayed in favor of another jaunt to Amsterdam, but I will make it to Long Beach. Maybe it will be a 21st birthday gift for my daughter late in the year. She lives there. I might have to do a couple of these restaurants from what I'm reading here.