Red Eye Flight .. long lines????

Old May 21st, 2007, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red Eye Flight .. long lines????

We are leaving on a 12:30 am flight out of Sac International. I have never flown that late at tnight.. is it still crazy at that time of th day? We are getting married that evening in Sutter Creek and will have to leave the weding earlier than planned to go to the airport.. (The TA failed to mention that to get to our cruise destination we had to leave the day before).

I know u are supposed to arrive 2 hours before your flight, but I am wondering if this is really necesary at 12:30 am? Your thoughts?
Old May 21st, 2007, 03:39 PM

It can go either way. I have been on red-eyes where the plane was almost empty and I've been on several red-eyes where the plane was overbooked and packed to capacity.
I would be there an hour and a half to two hours early.
Old May 21st, 2007, 03:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There are not many flights out of SMF that late at night. That also means there are fewer security staff around.

But SMF should not be bad at all at 11:00 p.m.
Old May 21st, 2007, 03:47 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
oh meant to add - which airline/terminal at SMF?

And - congratulations
Old May 21st, 2007, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

thank you.. ya know.. in my panic call with the TA.. I forgot to ask.. guess what I will be doing tomorrow? lol
Old May 21st, 2007, 06:58 PM
J62

According to flightaware.com there are only a handful of flights out at that hour

12:45am AA to DFW
12:15am CO to Houston
12:00midnight JetBlue to JFK

the airport won't be busy, but as mentioned there will be fewer TSA agents. There is no need to arrive 2 hrs before departure. Checkin online 24 hrs before your flight, and get to the airport about 1hr before departure (to the bag drop off counter by 1hr) and you'll be plenty early.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone!! You have helped me breathe a sigh of relief.. I just talked to the CSAA TA, who contated the cruise line and determined that I am flying out of Sacramento on AA at 1230 am.. I will try and check with them directly.. I wasn't aware you can check in online.. I will look into it.. As I mentioned, I don't travel much.. gee ya think lol.. and I really appreicate ALL of your help!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:40 AM
GoTravel

blueeyedkat, are you traveling straight from the airport to the cruise ship?

If so I'd fire your TA.

With a redeye you will want at least 24-36 hours to adjust yourself to the jetlag, married life, and your new surroundings.

Also, what a dipshit to put you on a redeye after your wedding.

Can you switch to another cruise? I don't know which cruise port you are fly out but most cruise companies have multiple cruises leaving Sat-Monday.

Good luck and congrats!

Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:44 AM

Jetlag from a 5-5.5 hour flight??? Assumes no sleep at all I guess.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

unfortunately we have already booked and paid for the netire trip, including the excursions.. of course, we did all of this BEFORE I learned about forums. At this point, it would be much too time consuming to chane it all and we really are looking forward to teh cruise.. luckily I can sleep anywhere.. and we can nap when we first get on the boat..

I DO plan on doing NOTHINg on the first day back.. since that seems to be the time when the jet lag will set in .. thanks a bunch .. as usual you are all a big help (plus, you make me laugh)!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:22 PM

Not from SAC, but I take the red eye from LA and love it, but I do arrive 90minutes ahead even that late - I also have had planes half empty but the last few time it has been at least 3/4 full -

Also, don't count ont he 24 hour internet check in, usually yes it works, but twice now I have been denied or one member of our family has, and it comes up "must check in at airport" - and they tell me this is randomly done for security purposes....so just an FYI and leave youreslf enough time.

Tell them it is your honeymoon, if you are there early maybe theyll let you in the ff lounge or something nice to pass the time.

Some people love late night flights, me being one of them. Even if I get a few hours dozing, I make it through the next day and that is usually an earlier night than usual for me, and then I am fine.

Only you know how you might do after the wedding, the hectic schedule and late night flight, maybe consider taking something to sleep if you want, or just 'wing it'

either way -
congratulations and have a wonderful time
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much.. not only for the suggestions but for the friendliness!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:45 PM

Even though your flight is not long, I would plan on being quite tired the next day. Most people are tired the day after their wedding, even if they get a full night's sleep in a regular bed. Being on a flight overnight will just amplify that. So just be ready - a nap as soon as you get on the ship is a great idea

I also think that if it was me, I would not use this TA again. The reason you use a TA in the first place is to have that person work out the details so you have a smooth trip. Having to leave your wedding and go straight to a redeye flight is not my idea of a good planning - LOL.

Fortunately it is a cruise though, where you can do as much or as little as you want
Old May 22nd, 2007, 03:27 PM
GoTravel

Congrats on your upcoming wedding and I hope you have a fabulous honeymoon!