Recommendation for long weekend destination

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My parents just offered to babysit our kids for 3 nights the first weekend in May so my husband and I can take a quick, kid-free trip together. I'm looking for recommendations for a destiniation. We live in Chicago and we want to go somewhere where we can fly non-stop. We also want good weather. It doesn't have to be beach weather, but we want it to be nice enough to enjoy being outdoors. For instance, we thought about going to the Jackson Hole Four Seasons, but decided that early May still might be a bit chilly (especially after a brutal Chicago winter). We're not golfers, but we're very active and enjoy beautiful scenery. That said, we wouldn't rule out an urban destination. This is trip is a much needed break so price is not a concern. Some ideas we've had are Santa Monica, Lake Tahoe, NYC. I'm looking both for ideas of a place and a specific hotel/resort. Thanks so much!
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 02:24 PM
WannabeinaMontserrat

The SW is beautiful that time of year. I would suggest Sedona.

Old Apr 7th, 2008, 02:29 PM

We stayed in Colorado for three nights last august and had a blast. We stayed at an extended stay america outside of Denver and rented a car. We bought and cooked our breakfast and lunch in the room and then went out for dinner (the whole trip cost $700-$800. In four days we did white water rafting, took a tour up pikes peak, went to st. mary's glacier and the red rocks ampitheater and we went to the zoo. Needless to say, we didn't relax much. The average temp in denver in May is 71, so you should be fine for outside as long you wear a light jacket. Have fun wherever you go!
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 02:35 PM

I forgot to tell you. Denver itself is a really neat city. It has this cool downtown area called LoDo with all these shops and it's really walkable. The hotels there should be pretty nice as this is an upper-income area of the city (from what I saw of the real estate listings). Here's a web site you can check out for it.

http://www.lodo.org/
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 02:54 PM

suggestions

San Diego

Puerto Rico

New Orleans

Tucson

Sedona (but it will be chilly there too)

Las Vegas

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 04:53 AM

Something to consider is that it is off-season in Florida during early May and not yet icky sticky hot and humid, especially on the Gulf coast (which is actually more beautiful than the Atlantic coast, in my opinion). Also, you probably do not want to spend a lot of time in an airplane with only 3 nights for your total trip. If you can get a short (relatively inexpensive) flight direct to Fort Myers or Tampa, there are many beautiful beach resorts along the Gulf coast. Have a nice trip, wherever you go...it sounds like you need it!
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 06:36 AM

I would caution you about San diego weather....May and June are our worst months: May Grey and June Gloom.
I don't know what the weather is like in May but what about Santa Fe?
agree Sedona is lovely as well but I don't know their weather either.
I love the big east coast cities in May....best time of year: Boston, New York, Washington/Baltimore, etc.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 06:53 AM

San Fransisco is a beautiful city. Lots to see & do. Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf, trolley cars, Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge, Golden Gate Park, Union Square (designer shopping)etc. Very walkable.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 07:18 AM

Come to Kentucky for the DERBY!

Really, it will be quite busy in town then.

Charleston, SC would be nice that time of year. Tour the city and the old plantations.

Rent a convertable and enjoy the sunshine.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 06:34 PM

This is so funny. I could have written your same post, (we live in Chicago, are planning a 3 night getaway, etc.) except we are planning a trip for early Oct. I have been looking into Sedona also. We really want to go to Big Sur but I think it is too rushed. Have you ever been to Montreal? I surprised my husband for his 40th b-day (like bags packed hidden in the trunk of the car!) and it was AMAZING. It has a European flair and you don't need ot rent a car. We went for two nights and it was not rushed but three nights would be perfect. Not sure about the weather, though. Worth a look!! Let me know and I could recommend hotels. They have awesome boutique hotels and fine dining!
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 04:04 AM
emd

Sedona is nice in May, but I don't think 3 nights is enough to go from Chicago and get to Sedona. you have to drive there from Phoenix (or perhaps Vegas, I've only gone from Phoenix) and from Phoenix it is a 2 hr drive. Plus you need to give yourself lots of time to get back to Phoenix airport as if something goes wrong on I17 like an accident, you can miss your flight (been there). Too much transportation time for a 3 nighter, IMO.

Perhaps one of the many resorts right in Scottsdale/Phoenix area?

Santa Fe is great in May, sunny and warm. I just spent 4 nights there last week and was surprised how nice it was, and wondered why I've never gone there before. It is high altitude but very close to the dessert, is set against mountains, has lovely natural areas and hiking close to town, great shopping and incredible dining, lots of good art galleries and wonderful museums and historic sites. Really lovely people too, I met and chatted for hours w/several local people. It is about a 45 min. drive from Albuquerque (speed limits 70 most of the way). There are two shuttle services that leave once an hr. from the Albuquerque airport, so you don't really need a car if you only have two days and are staying in a central location to the Canyon Rd. area and the plaza area.

I enjoyed having a car there as I stayed a little further away to save $$, and I appreciated the car to get to the wonderful Japanese style spa/resort, Ten Thousand waves, and also to get the museums (International Folk Art Museum was great) and hiking out on Upper Canyon Rd. at the Audubon Center.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 08:56 AM
JJ5

I go on 4 day baseball trips to many cities and some of these suggestions from Chicago are harder than others, so consider the airport and plane time. As Sedona is a drive from any airport, that would be a large consideration for me. But the SW in general is, IMHO, the biggest departure from Chicago and Chicago weather. There are many spa, golf resorts in the SW that would fill your bill.

Direct flights to Sante Fe, NM or Charleston SC would be nice.

It sounds like you'd rather not do a big city. But San Diego is always and every time a winner to visit- gloom or whatever- because it has a very different feel/weather/look from Chicago. And if you want to be active or just plop, you can do both easily and possibly in luxury by the ocean.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 09:55 AM

Thinking too much about my taxes -

Should be Windsor Court Hotel in New Orleans (not Cresent Court).
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 09:56 AM

Well, really not a good day. Can't find my previous post

Add Watermark Hotel in San Antonio (on the Riverwalk)
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 10:24 AM
trg

I guggest flying into Denver and drive up to Estes Park at the entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park - about an hour and a half. Great little town to R & R in. Summer crowds will not be there yet and there are lot's of neat condos, cabins and hotels. Our favorite is http://www.riverwoodestes.com/. Plenty of cozy little restaurants. Our favorite place for a getaway.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 03:49 PM

Arizona will be a little hot in May but I agree with the note above recommending San Francisco. The Westin St. Francis is beautiful (the older wing while obviously not as modern as the newer part of the hotel has wonderful charm and I wouldn't miss it). It is also right in Union Square which is fun and conveniently located near a lot of great places and easy to find transportation to others - Fisherman's wharf (touristy but still a lot of fun, and great food), Japantown, you name it!
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 06:33 PM

First weekend in May is the New Orleans Jazz Fest. That would be a great time to visit New Orleans! Weather is usually warm and sunny.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 06:10 AM

We just got back from the Keys..and that is for sure the way to go! I fell in Love!
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 09:11 AM

Another idea:
Treasure Island, Florida.....
beautiful, wide, white sandy beach, 80 degree weather, restaurants, night life, fishing, boats, walk the beach, sit pool side, etc.

Stay at Tahiatian Resort or The Bungalows in T.I. Both have beautiful settings with pool.

Centrally located between St. Petersburg and Clearwater Beach.

Fly into Tampa or St. Petersburg, whatever offers the best flight times.

We're leaving Mon. 4/28 for our 6th trip to the area.
love it!
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 03:59 AM

3-4 nights in P.Rico or go to Mexico...42 female alone. I am looking at Jan, and need to go to a spanish speaking country. Mexico, Oaxaca appealed but the safety issue is there. PR looks nice. Please advise where off the beaten path, safe I should venture after arriving in San Juan. I am not a city girl, per se, thus want to eat, force myself to use spanish and mingle. The trip will be short so distance and how to get there is important. Thanks!