Search

Recommend a spa/resort for Mom's 50th

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommend a spa/resort for Mom's 50th

Hi everyone,

My mom is turning 50 in January, and she has been the most amazing mother ever! I want to do something really special for her. One of the things I am considering is a long spa weekend for the two of us. I'm looking for excellent and relaxing spa treatments, a nice pool, a cute town to eat and shop in, etc...

I would be thinking of something later in the year, though, maybe in May or June, for 3 or 4 nights. We would be flying from Boston, so I would want something that's not too far away and has a direct flight. I have been looking into places in Scottsdale/Phoenix, and some of those resorts look really nice.

Any recommendations would be very helpful! Thanks
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 04:18 PM

Beachgirl-My friend has been raving about their trip to The Sactuary on Kiawah Island last fall. Tripadvisor reviews all look good as well. It is really supposed to be top notch (expensive as well), but might be great for a special girls weekend. It is on my list to get to (maybe I'll go with my daughter in a very few years for my 50th!)
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 04:25 PM

Grove Park Inn in Asheville NC is amazing. The spa is wonderful. The weather would be great in May and June.

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 04:31 PM
jtp

Almost in your backyard is one of the best spa & resorts in the country-- Canyon Ranch!
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Ike

The Greenbrier in White Sulphur Springs, WV would be outstanding. You can fly into Lewisburg, WV a/p........

http://www.greenbrier.com/site/leisu...e_default.aspx

Another great spot would be Ritz Carlton Amelia Island, FL. You could fly into Jacksonville, FL and the RC will pick you up. My wife loves this place and the spa is outstanding. The GB's probably one of the best spas in the U. S. Fernadina Beach at Amelia Island is a neat town.

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/resorts/amelia_island/

A nice trip would be to Bermuda. Cambridge Beaches, The Reefs and Fairmont Southampton all have great spas and Hamilton is a neat shopping place.

If you have never been to Canada check out one of Fairmonth's many great hotels in Canada in Montreal, Quebec City, Vancouver, Victoria, Banff, et al.........

Seattle, WA is a neat city. Fly to San Francisco and stay at the FS, RC both have nice spas.

Right now my wife wants me to take her back to Bermuda, also to San Diego and Hawaii. I want to go back to Seattle. A neat place I just thought of is Savannah, GA. You can fly right into Savannah or you could fly to Charleston, SC and tour both cities.

One of the finest new resorts up and going now is Palmetto Bluff. Check it out.

http://www.palmettobluffresort.com/a...mci_golf.shtml

This place just opened and it's managed by Auberge Resorts who manage a great hotel in Napa and several others around NA. Fly into Savannah, rent a car, drive 45 minutes, stay 4/5 days and then spend a night/two in Savannah before you head back home. Savannah is one of the nicest towns you will ever visit.

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

I love all these suggestions, thanks so much! I will look into all of these.

Anyone else?
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 03:35 PM

How about heading to the West Coast? I have two choices in south Orange County:

Ritz-Carlton Laguna Niguel in Dana Point:
http://www.ritzcarlton.com/resorts/laguna_niguel/

Montage Resort & Spa, Laguna Beach:
http://www.montagelagunabeach.com/index.html

The surrounding beach cities are pretty incredible-- Laguna Beach, Dana Point, San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano, Newport Beach, etc. And JetBlue flies nonstop from BOS to Long Beach (LGB)-- a half-hour's drive to either resort.

Just a thought. There are beautiful spas up and down the coast (La Costa in Carlsbad, with San Diego the closest airport), and of course in Arizona and even Las Vegas. You have lots of pretty spectacular choices out West.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

rjw: Thanks so much for the Cal. suggestions...you are always so helpful with this area. I was actually hoping to hear you weigh in on the Cal. options! I will absolutely check these out now. Thanks again!
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 05:25 PM

10,000 Waves just outside of Santa Fe. Wonderous spa with oriental and southwest feel to it.

Also, Tamaya just outside of Albuquerque is really lovely.

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 05:27 PM

rjw's suggestions are terrific as both are lovely resorts. There are quite a few great ones in Phoenix too. Most rates drop after Memorial weekend so you could stay at some beautiful resorts for less money. You could do a search for Phoenix resorts here or check out the Four Seasons, Phoenicican, Scottsdale Princess (Fairmont), the Sanctuary at Camelback just to name a few.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 06:43 PM

Won't Phoenix and Scottsdale be really hot in late May/June? How about the Sonoma Mission Inn in the California wine country:
http://www.fairmont.com/sonoma/

Fly direct to SFO, rent a car, drive about 90 minutes. The place is very, very nice. And the wine is OK too.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 09:01 AM

A lot of people really love Miraval in AZ. Of course Canyon Ranch is top rated (either in AZ or the Berkshires which would be way convenient for you!) Lake Austin spa is another one that I've heard great things about (from a spa owner).
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 09:13 AM

A couple of more suggestions for California:
Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay south of San Francisco. Beautiful scenery and great spa.
And, my DW's favorite spa in the world, Pebble Beach. She's been to MANY spas, and still insists that this was the best and she had the best facial she's ever had. It's not just for golf. Both the Lodge at Pebble Beach and the Inn at Spanish Bay are great, and the spa is amazing. They also have another resort called Casa Palmero, like a little Mediterranean "village," very nice, very pricey.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, everyone! These are fabulous suggestions. Mom's 50th is in Jan. so I have a few months to check them all out
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 03:36 PM

I'm just a few months shy of 50 and think Canyon Ranch is wonderful. I've been twice for extended stays (Tucson) and will try the Berkshires this fall. If you go, be sure to book direct with reservation agent and work the deals . . . especially an upgrade to an executive room.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 04:35 PM

10,000 Waves in Santa Fe is ABSOLUTELY amazing........in fact i believe its been voted 1 of the top 10 in the US. My husband, then boyfriend, and I did an overnighter in one of the "houses" and also a 3 treatment spa package plus private tub that was absolutely amazing! Going back again this xmas for an overnighter as well. Enjoy!!!
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 09:17 PM

I have been to both the Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel and and The Montage in Laguna Beach and both are wonderful but think I like the Montage a bit better. Laguna Beach is also a neat town to shop and eat. Have a great time whatever you choose.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 10:13 PM
TahitiTams

Hi beachgirl..
I love and have been to the Golden Door (San Diego area) and its sister spa, Rancho la Puerta ( Tecate, Mexico)..I also hear that Cal-a-Vie is outstanding in the North San Diego area.(that is where Oprah goes)
goldendoor.com
rancholapuerta.com
cal-a-vie.com
Have a wonderful time with your Mom!

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 01:44 PM

CANYON RANCH !!!!

Is the best!
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 02:38 PM

We are planning a trip for 10 ladies turning 40 in June 2007. Since we will be traveling from Boston for about the same time period as your trip, I have been looking into "Charleston Place Hotel" in Charelston, SC. The flight is only 2 hours from Boston and the hotel does have a spa. My mother said that Chareston is beautiful lots of shopping, dining and antiques if your into that. Sorry I can't give a recommendation on the hotel, we haven't gone their yet, but check out their website it looks very nice. Maybe someone else can give advice on their spa services there?? Good Luck.