Reasonably priced makeover in NYC

Apr 21st, 2006, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Reasonably priced makeover in NYC

My 70ish mother who is coming to NY for a week said she'd love to try a makeover. She mentioned Elizabeth Arden, but I'm afraid it's over her/my budget of less than $200. She's thinking of some sort of hair styling (and maybe a trim, nothing more)for very fine hair, skin treatment (not necessarily a full-length facial) minimal makeup application--or some other similar combination of treatments she usually doesn't spend much time or money on!
She's pretty youthful in style, wears very little makeup, but wants a little pampering for a couple of hours.
Other than the free makeup applications at the department stores, is there any hope to find her something in this price range?
Apr 21st, 2006, 11:09 AM
GoTravel

There are several beauty schools in Manhattan (LIBS and Aveda are two that come to mind) and I would bet they offer cheap beauty days in exchange for being a guinea pig.

I know the schools in my hometown do this.

Apr 21st, 2006, 11:14 AM

To get all of those things together, you're going to have to go to a full-service salon/spa and I don't know if you'll get them all for $200 or less. However, the last time I was at Eliz Arden and getting 2 services, they offered me a free makeup application.
Apr 21st, 2006, 11:25 AM

Borghese at Lord and Taylor offer a facial to clients off the floor that is complementary but hope you will buy some of the products, and the line is probably the BEST for "aging skin". I use the Vitamin C cream as do all of my friends, because it's amazing on the skin.

Lord & Taylor on 5th and 38th St also have a hair salon with excellent stylists and then she can go for a facial or vice versa. I can set up the facial if you would like.
Apr 21st, 2006, 11:53 AM

I agree there's no way you can get all of this for $200 in one place(and have it be decent). I would try to find some place to spend the entire amount on hair and then she can get free makeup application in lots of places from Sephora to a Clarins counter at one of the dept. stores.

Here's a link to training session info from NY Magazine
http://www.nymag.com/guides/cheap/haircuts/

Depending on what she thinks is more important (cut or color) that's how I would chose which place. Louis Licari is known for color. This link says a Wed. at 5:30 color for $50, cut for $35. I'd double check the prices and make sure they'll allow you to do both together.

There are also more options here for makeup
http://www.nymag.com/guides/cheap/spas/

If she wants a manicure/pedicure, I use the Bloomies mentioned here on 55th b/w 5th & 6th. They're good, clean , quick, pleasant and inexpensive ($35 for a basic manicure/pedicure)
Apr 21st, 2006, 12:01 PM

Just realized, in case you don't know Sephora, it's a makeup dept. store and they do FREE makeup applications. Benefit is they won't use just one brand like they would at one of the counters, they'll use what they think is good for you. There are several locations in Manhattan. At the smaller stores, you need an appointment in advance.

sephora.com
Apr 21st, 2006, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas so far. None sound exactly like what she's looking for, but I will check into them. I know the price range is a problem.

I think the main thing is to just find a single place to be "pampered" rather than going to different places for different services. The hair part, which could be the most expensive on its own is not so important--it should really be the cheapest since she's proudly gray (no coloring costs!) and has really short hair.
I'd still like to hear other suggestions you guys have, so keep them coming
Apr 21st, 2006, 02:47 PM

Well that's helpful info. Then send her to Elizabeth Arden. They have a full day package that includes a massage, a facial, hair, a manicure, lunch etc. I don't know the price but it shouldn't be to much more than your budget.

http://www.reddoorspas.com/gc/

Apr 21st, 2006, 04:06 PM

You can get info on pricing by location for New York if you go to:
www.reddoorspas.com/
locationdetail.aspx?state=NY

It appears that the signature facial is $112 and that includes a make-up touch up - but is limited in time - only about an hour.

Most of the other treatments listed are much more heavy duty (peels and complete body waxing etc) - and don;t seem like things your mom would be interested in.

Sorry not to be more help - but I have different things done different places.

Perhaps if you can just get her a good hair place that does manicures and pedicures?
Apr 21st, 2006, 04:49 PM

The Aveda schools are very high quality, and offer a full range of hair/skin/makeup services; they are fully supervised and a fraction of what the cost can be at other places. (just google Aveda.)
Apr 22nd, 2006, 10:13 AM

With the help of nytraveler's link, I found the price of the half day pkg. is $193 including massage or facial and man/ped. I would phone them, tell them what you want and see if they'll design a package for you.