Reagen National (DCA) airport hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2015, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any personal experience with one being better or worse than another. 2 nights, 1 person who will be spending at least 1/2 day in room on computer or phone. Convenience to Metro or shuttle a consideration.
Old Jun 13th, 2015, 11:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You are undoubtedly going to hear about the Americana; personally I have used the Hampton Inn and was pleased with the cost and the location. There are, as I am certain you already know, there are numerous establishments; some are more convenient to the Metro than others.

Frankly, you could stay at a few other Metro-close locations in Northern Virginia and probably get an even better selection of places to eat, etc., as opposed to staying in Crystal City.
Old Jun 13th, 2015, 11:37 AM

In my SO's experience, they are all the same as long as you are very, very close to a Metro stop--on top of one is best. No reason to bother with a shuttle. Since your stay is so short, look for blue or yellow line access, as those are the ones that shoot directly to DCA.

(I can never bring myself to call it Reagan, but that is another subject...)
Old Jun 13th, 2015, 01:26 PM

I park my car under the Crystal City Gateway Marriott as it is cheaper than the airport lot. They have a shuttle to/from the airport and are connected to the metro, also, so couldn't get more convenient.
Old Jun 13th, 2015, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - was actually looking at either Hampton Inn or Marriott. This trip is just my husband and I usually stay in Ballston near where our dtr lives. Since it is beginning of week leading up to July 4th, hotels are expensive. Arrive Sunday, leave Tuesday - and Monday evening he is teaching a class in Fairfax. So we were thinking he would rent a car for 24 hours to get to Fairfax (not near Metro). Easy pick up and drop off of car at airport and he would be close for Tuesday AM flight.
Old Jun 13th, 2015, 01:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've stayed in that Hampton Inn (the night before an early flight out of DCA) -- it's exactly what you'd expect from an HI which is what I like about that chain. Shuttle goes to metro and to airport. Not sure why a person would pay for a metro ride to DCA if there is a free shuttle and it's timely for your flight. Metro is a five minute walk. So is Jose Andres' Jaleo.

The Americana is a great choice for those on a limited budget and close access to a metro and DC. It is exactly the kind of place that could be recommended for someone who wants a "clean and safe" place to stay. With free wifi and parking.