Reload this Page >

Read for Information on Visiting Ground Zero Viewing Platform

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 11:11 AM
rqf

The viewing platform is at Broadway and Fulton Street and is open seven days a week from 9 am to 8 pm. Tickets, which are free, are required for gaining access to the viewing platform

Tickets can be picked up at the ticket booth for the South Street Seaport Museum on Pier 16. The Seaport is at Fulton and South Street. Two (2) tickets per person are distributed on a first- come, first- served basis for visits to the platform. Tickets are issued in half hour blocks, 250 tickets to a block

The ticket booth is open from 11 am to 6 pm or until all tickets are issued. Starting at 11 am, 250 tickets for each half hour block between 12 noon and 7:30 pm are distributed for same day access to the viewing platform. When these tickets are gone, tickets for half hour blocks from 9 am to 11:30 am the following morning are issued. The time for the viewing is printed on the ticket. You cannot request a specific time for viewing but will be given a ticket for the next available time.

Groups of 40 at a time are provided access to the viewing platform for a period of about 4 minutes. Since only 40 people are on the viewing platform at a given time there is no problem of having good sight lines to the site. You are told that photographing the site is acceptable. Once you show your ticket for entrance to the viewing platform it will take anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes to complete the viewing.

Save time by going directly to the Seaport for your ticket. It is a 10 to 15 minute walk (about 1/2 mile) from the Seaport to the viewing platform. From anywhere north of Ground Zero take a #4, #5, #1, #2 or C train to the Fulton street Station. The subway that leaves you closest to the Seaport is the #1 or #2.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 12:10 PM
xxx

rqf, this is old news by now.
Also, is this information taken from elsewhere verbatim? Fodor's policy is not to include copyrighted material in a post. If this is taken from a website, just give the link, if you must

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 01:45 PM
rqf

I visited today and the report contains my words and is not copywrited material from a website. I doubt that any website mentions it is a half mile walk from where tickets are obtained to the viewing platform and someone who has a problem with walking might find this information useful. I am reasonably certain there is other information in my report you won't find at any website.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 01:55 PM
x2

it has been in the news, in print and on television also on this website do a search.
Apart from private posts Fodors has link on the home page under travel features ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzz

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 01:57 PM
x2

that was news and features then travel updates

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 02:38 PM
Carol

rqf:

Thank you for your posting and sharing the information. I am going to New York next month and was thinking about this so it is very timely!

If the above posters are not interested in this information then they simply don't have to spend any time reading it, let alone sending in useless replies!

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 03:33 PM
x3

and the interested parties just keep pouring in ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZz

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 05:57 PM
Meki

This IS helpful information to those who do not spend 24 hours a day on Fodors insulting anyone that provides info that isn't pertinent to them. Thanks RQF for the info.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 03:51 AM
xx

Can someone who has visited the viewing platform at Ground Zero tell me how long the visit might take from getting the tickets to exiting the viewing platform.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 04:16 AM
xxx

just where is Ground Zero anyway?

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 06:28 AM
aaa

There is really no way on knowing how long it will take, getting ticket to exiting the platform. Getting a ticket will take a couple of minutes or even less. Time on the viewing platform is less than 5 minutes but you have to factor in the two hour wait. When I visited I was at the booth for tickets at about 1 pm. The time for the viewing, stamped on the ticket, was from 3 to 3:30 pm. So from start to finish took close to 2 1/2 hours. What I did, to pass the time, was walk down to take the Staten Island ferry to view the skyline and the Statue of Liberty. I walked from the ferry to Ground Zero arriving at about 2:50. I exited the platform at about 3:25 pm.