Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

RE: removing your shoes during security checks....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2003, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to CNN, the Transportation Security Administration is re-thinking its policy regarding removal of shoes during airport security checks. This subject was widely discussed in a recent posting, but now I can't find it.

Just thought someone might find it interesting:

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/TRAVEL/0...ing/index.html
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 10:40 PM

That thread was called "As if I didn't have enough worries."

Interesting!

BTW, we flew over the July 4th weekend again, but did not encounter any requests to remove shoes. Also, set off fireworks over the 4th and alerted the TSA screeners about that. The fireworks did not trigger any special checks.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 01:59 AM

I was asked to remove my Rockports at MPS in May en route to LGW. I learned they have metal in their construction that triggers the screener. No inconvenience. It only took a few minutes.
John
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 02:06 AM

A story on the news this AM attempted to clarify new regulation, saying that people could be ASKED to remove their shoes (not ordered) but if they refused they might be subject to more intense scrutiny/examinations of stuff and person.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 02:16 AM
Original Poster

We've only flown back to the States once since the Shoe Bomber, in July 2002. But neither my husband nor I were asked to remove our shoes. I wouldn't think, though, that it would be any great inconvenience, especially if it ensured the safety of the plane and all its passengers. I'd just want to be sure I was wearing clean socks!

Old Jul 11th, 2003, 05:08 AM

Hopefully people will look at it as just "being safe". I'd rather take my shoes off then have someone with me in a plane that had one and wasn't asked to take theirs off.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 05:13 AM

If we are going to be asked to remove our shoes and walk through in our barefeet or socks, some sort of paper booties should be provided. I always bring a pair of old ankle socks which I then throw away. Has anyone considered that A) the carpet/floor is flithy B)contaminated with germs and fungus such as athletes feet, or worse. Can't wait for someone to sue then perhaps this issue will receive some attention.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 05:22 AM

At Newark Airport it is a matter of course, that every person who goes through the security check, takes off their shoes and puts them into the bin with their purse/brief case and walks through either barefooted or in their socks.
I think it is about as dirty as any floor in a public place, but at the same time, how many people worry about germs at hotel pools, beaches, etc.
If it bothers you, I have seen some women putting on little socks or peds kind of things.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 05:24 AM

Ronda,
Your surname isn't Monk is it?
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 05:50 AM

Last week in both Newark & Sky Harbor airports, I had to remove OPEN sandals. I have no problem with that, if it means safer air travel.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 05:56 AM

I can't imagine ANYONE surviving the ordeal if my husband were asked to remove his shoes/socks.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 05:56 AM

Two weeks ago, I had a more thorough search at little Lexington, KY airport than I did at DFW (and it wasn't busy).

Yes, I even had to remove my shoes. I didn't set off the metal detector but I was searched with the wand anyway.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 06:17 AM

I've been through security 6 times in the last 3 weeks. Each time I was told, taking off your shoes is recommended. As a frequent traveler, I know which shoes don't set off the reader and usually breeze through security. (of course there's always that time when I'm late that they pull me into the extra security line)
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 06:19 AM
xaimimgr

Ronda

Have you never walked barefoot on the beach or enjoyed a pool in a great hotel? Or did you wear shoes into the water..

Old Jul 11th, 2003, 06:32 AM

When I flew to Alaska last summer, at my connection in Seattle, I had to remove my shoes and the screener wanded my bare feet. I have no idea what sort of explosives could be hidden on bare skin, but he was really intent on wanding my feet. (This was pre-TSA, if that makes any difference.)
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 08:10 AM

I have no problem removing my shoes at a security check point. What I have a problem with is the proposed x-ray screening device that can see through your clothing.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 08:20 AM

I'll remove just about anything that they ask me to, whenever they ask it, as long as every one of us gets to wherever we are going and we get there safely. The inconvenience, if it can be called that, is inconsequential.

Old Jul 11th, 2003, 08:30 AM

A little shoe story:

We got slightly caught in getting home from Scotland in the 9/11 confusion. So my first flight after this I tried to be extra careful about what I wore through the screening. I set it off anyway, I usually do, so I had to take my shoes off, no biggy, I would rather be safe. So I am sitting on a chair and they are wanding the bottom of my feet with socks on and it is going off! I am beginning to get scared, what could be causing it, I am innocent! Finally, after much internal panic, I remember I had a toe ring on!

I believe it is unlikely that someone would try the shoe thing again but I don't mind being checked thouroughly.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 08:53 AM

I no longer even bother to ask or check as to whether it will be required. It's now a part of my routine to always wear loafers or slip-on shoes when I travel and remove them before I walk through. If by chance you have shoes on with a metal insert..... it trips the metal detector and you'll go through an additional search more often than not.
Old Jul 11th, 2003, 08:53 AM

JCorrea,
think of it as a good excuse to buy More Fancy Underwear

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -