RDU Taxi Recommendations

Search

RDU Taxi Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDU Taxi Recommendations

Can anyone recommend/advise the most affordable and/or reliable taxi company to travel from RDU to Cary, NC?

I've searched on-line and can see several providers, but I don't have any experience with these companies and the rates for Cary are listed as METERED, so I'm not sure what to expect as far as the fare.

Many thanks -
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 04:01 AM

Hi, asalamy. Have you checked the rdu website for ground transportation options ? One example listed is the "Super Shuttle," described as offering 'shared-ride van service from RDU to destinations throughout the Triangle region.'

This is just one of many providers listed under Ground Transportation on rdu dot com. There should be several that would be a better option for you than a metered taxi.

Sorry that I can't offer a personal rec for any of these, as I have always used a hotel shuttle to/from RDU. Another poster will likely be more familiar with the options---I just wanted to point out this online resource, if you have not already found it.

Good luck and safe travels !
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - I have seen that but am after a point-to-point delivery via taxi.

Just looking for recommendations on taxi companies Fodorites have used in the past, rather than randomly selecting one from a list.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 05:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I used what ever the RDU taxi service is called to get to Chapel Hill a few weeks ago. It cost about $32. We were traveling at night and traffic was not bad.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 06:01 AM

RDU to Cary is about $25... You will have no choice on Taxi companies... its all Airport Ground Transportation... you walk to the Taxi stand and get the next available Cab... very few airports, if any, allow you to call a special Taxi... You can call a Limo or Take the SuperShuttle or rent a car... but that's it asalamy...
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 06:15 AM

We spent a lot of time researching airport taxi service for our dtr who is in college near Burlington, NC to get to RDU. It was a frustrating experience. If you do a search in various on-line yellow pages, there are various taxi services listed. Many of them did not exist anymore, and others, with differing email/websites, all lead us to the same company. In the end, we used RDUtaxiservice.com - whose website that I just checked looks completely different from the one we use 8 months ago - so I am not sure if it is even the same company.

Our experience - we called, set up a ride. Gave them her cell phone number. Pick-up instructions given to us were totally different than those given to her when she called, as requested, to reconfirm 24 hours in advance. She described the driver as "sketchy" - but he was safe, on-time, and someone showed up at airport 2 days later to driver her back to college. When she described "sketchy" he matched the description of many cab drivers I have had in my lifetime - so am not sure that is relevant.

Cost for about 50 mile trip was around $80 - they said on phone they took credit cards but this proved to be true on only one leg of the trip.

We could not find any van/shuttle services for that distance - do not know about to/from Cary. And while our experience was less than perfect, this was the BEST of the bunch we could find - mopst did not even call us back or speak English on the phone. Ground transportation does not seem easy to find in NC from RDU.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much - those are very useful comments. There are numerous companies listed on-line but they do all appear to be somewhat related. I'm used to travelling in cities where you are able to ring a taxi in advance to collect you at the airport, rather than waiting in potentially a long line at the taxi rank.

I think I will do as garyt22 suggests and get in the taxi line once I'm to the airport.

Cheers -
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 08:25 AM

As stated, only RDU taxies pick up at the que stand. Good clean service but not always the cheapest but it keeps outlaw cabs from causing havoc so you know who your driver is. (in other words, you don't get robbed or left in a ditch).

The other possible way of travel is by private service. White Horse is a very good service and if you have a larger party, they have surburbans which can hold more people and luggage. They will also give you a pre-tip set cost for transportation.

http://www.ridewhitehorse.com/
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 08:45 AM

I don;t think you want a taxi. Taxis line up at the airport and you take the next in line - or the driver won;t take you (at almost every airport I've been in). You are looking for a private car service - and if you search under that might have more luck.
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 09:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmmm, nytraveler, do think the person above you who answered a year old post might be an advertiser?