Random Hawaii Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2003, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Random Hawaii Questions

Leaving for Hawaii next month have some questions:

1) Any recommendations for boat tours up the NaPali Coast? i.e. Captain Sundown

2) Helicopter ride - I was going to choose InterIsland. Good choice?

3) Anyone know of car rental companies on Kauai that doesn't charge for being under 25? Found one on Oahu, but no luck yet in Kauai.

4) Whats the best luau on Oahu? Book in adavance?

5) I would like to take a surfing lesson on Waikiki, do I need to book in advance?

Thanks in advance for all your help!!!
Old May 21st, 2003, 07:15 AM

I can help you only with kauai info as we travel there every year. If you would like my info I can amil to you. Just drop me a note at [email protected]
Old May 21st, 2003, 07:53 AM

Definitely a good choice with InterIsland.....no doors and the waterfall lunch made for the highlight of my February trip.
Old May 21st, 2003, 09:07 AM

We took Captain Sundown out of Hanalei. Since the boats can no longer use the pier you get to the cat in an outrigger. This was very fun and it breaks the ice with some of your fellow passengers. Only about 16 passengers and about 3 crew members. We had a great time. The good thing about gong out of Hanalei is that you see the entire coast. Leaving from Port Allen you do miss a portion of the NaPali coast.
Old May 21st, 2003, 11:52 AM

AS for surf lessons at Waikiki, just walk over to the beach boy stands in Kuhio Beach park for a fun few hours. They will get you up on the board! Not as good as a pricey private lesson but it's great fun, they really know their business!

I like the Napali tours that leave from Hanalei as the scenery starts right off the bat.

You may want to contact Rent a Wreck on Kauai, they may rent to younger drivers. The cars are OK, definitely not new and you have to get yourself to their office (about a mile from the airport.)

Luau on Oahu? If you are under 25 you may not even like a big commercial luau. VERY pricey, kinda hokey. Wyy dont you call the Royal Hawaiian Htoel and ask when their luau is then get a prime spot in their mai tai bar and have pupu and cocktails while watching hte show for "free."
Old May 21st, 2003, 12:29 PM

Took HolaHola Charter for the NaPali coast ride. No problems - included a lunch buffet.
Old May 21st, 2003, 01:03 PM

I think a Hanalei departure is better than Port Allen for a Na Pali cruise. You see more scenery faster, plus you get to enjoy Hanalei.

On Oahu I like the PCC luau because it also comes with admission to the Polynesian villages and a great night show.
Old May 21st, 2003, 04:47 PM

Forget the luau. If you're over 21, go to the House Without a Key lounge at the Halekulani Hotel on Waikiki Beach. It's outside. Go in late afternoon and watch a former Miss Hawaii dance the hula with Diamond Head behind her and the sun setting. Drink a Mai Tai or two - the best available. I lived on Oahu for three years and nothing ever compared to this experience.
Old May 21st, 2003, 05:59 PM

Well...I was born and raised on Oahu. I love Paradise Cove. Who cares if it's hokey! It's fun.
Old May 21st, 2003, 07:04 PM

Another vote for Paradise Cove. I won't get on a helicopter because about 15 have crashed since I moved here.
Old May 21st, 2003, 11:43 PM

I also vote for Paradise Cove. It can be cheesy, but it's pretty good. (I am born & raised on Oahu too.)
Old May 22nd, 2003, 04:25 AM
iceeu2

InterIsland is an excellent choice; you may or may not want to do the waterfall part, but the no doors are wonderful.

We did the NaPali coast tour with Holoholo, but I wish we had gone out of Hanalei. I would just rate Holoholo as average, not the best.

Old May 27th, 2003, 06:59 AM

I've only been to one luau, the Germaine Luau. While it was hokey at times, it was enjoyable, right on a beach outside of Waikiki. A bus picked us up. I have great pictures of the sunset from this spot. Go, have fun, and even though it might be hokey, you're on vacation!

No need for reservations for the luau or surfing lessons.
Old May 27th, 2003, 05:08 PM

I was on Kauai last week. Took the NaPali boat with Makana out of Port Allen. Since you asked about car rentals for under 25, I'm assuming you're under 25. Makana is owned and piloted by a 25 year old Hawaiian. While I'm way over 25, I really liked this trip - thought it had a very "hang loose" atmosphere. It's a boat not a catamaran and they only take 12-13 people.