Notices

Raleigh, North Carolina bars

Old May 22nd, 2002, 06:44 AM
Karyn

Raleigh, North Carolina bars

I am planning on taking a trip to the Raleigh, NC areas this summer. I have never been there is there any good night spots or bars to hit while down there. Also, what shouldn't I miss while in the area. Thanks alot!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 06:34 PM
Arabella

The Berkeley Cafe has live music. That's my only contribution. Anyone else?

Old May 23rd, 2002, 07:43 AM
ncgrrl

Not much of a bar hopper so I'm not the person to ask.

What do you like to do? The North Carolina museum of art is a nice free art museum, sometimes has a special exhibit that costs. Also a history and science museum in downtown. Jordan Lake, south of Raleigh has boating and fishing (I think). It's a state park and has a small admission fee.

Come on over to Durham and see the AAA Durham Bulls play baseball. If you are here in June, stop by Duke to see a perfomance at the American Dance Festival. It's modern dance and some of it is really out there, but most is enjoyable to all.

Chapel Hill (about 25 miles from Raleigh) is a fabled college town. More bars than you can shake a stick at. Visit "He's not here" a local landmark since about the beginning of time. Also tour the campus and visit Morehead Planetarium.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 08:34 AM
Deb

Hi Karyn,

How old are you? That would help!

Charlie Goodnight's is a good spot...it is a comedy club, and there are two bars adjoined to it where you can go after the show. There is Jillian's...which is a chain you might know about-it's a huge place with a dance floor and lots of arcade games. 42nd Street Oyster Bar is a good place (a tad pricey) for seafood and live music...the music is usually blues or rock. Another restaurant/bar across from 42nd Street Restaurant is Rira...Irish Pub. Across from 42nd Street is Southend Brewery-they have dancing. 42nd Street Restaurant and Southend are on Jones St. Jones Street intersects with Glenwood. This area is being called "Glenwood South". There are a lot of other places along Glenwood to go...Sullivan's-for wine and martinis...The Graduate...Bogart's. There are plenty of places to eat on Glenwood Ave. as well. Sushi Blues and Mellow Mushroom Pizza are two casual places to eat. In the Five Points area, there is Lilly's pizza, which is great pizza and atmosphere.
I'm almost done...I'll name a couple more places. If you want to hear live music, King's is a great place to go. There is always a variety of music there. Next to King's is a place called Vertigo...they make up a special cocktail list each month with fun drinks.
Check out the museum of art, it's a very nice museum...and on summer weekend nights, they do movies on the lawn. Check out the raleigh flea market and farmer's market. With the flea market-it is great people watching...and at the farmer's market, you can try some NC grown veggies and fruits. The flea market is only open during the weekend, but the farmer's market is open 7 days a week. For more museums, head downtown. Try to catch a Durham Bulls game...it makes for a great summer night.
Please post again if you need any more info. Hope this helped!

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 11:20 AM
jude

Any further input on this topic ???