Notices

philadelphia - neighbors to wander

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
philadelphia - neighbors to wander

my wife and i are going to spend a day in philadelphia (day before easter) and we really enjoy wandering neigborhoods that have been (revitalized- bookstores, local restaurants, etc we enjoy just watching and flavoring an area). not much on historical sites or downtown malls in cities. also good restaurant recommendations in area.

thanks
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry about that i meant neighborhoods to wander!!!
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 07:57 AM
TKT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My favorite area is Old City, Market Street between Front Street and Sixth Street, and to go 3 blocks north or south of Market Street. Many art galleries, cafes, historic sights.
I like eating at Fork and Anjou, coffee at Corsi. For music I enjoy Blues and R&B at www.Warmdaddys.com.
The Southern Food there is also good, but VERY filling.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 08:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Society Hill
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 09:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pine Street --- 12th down toward historic area (Penn's Landing toward Constitution Center region)--- is known for its antiques and cute/quirky boutiques but just outside the touristy stuff. Our favorite restaurant in the city is Buddakan (historic area but nothing old/boring about it), though reservations are usually tough unless you don't mind early or late (all of the Starr restaurants are great...can check out online for all the choices). The Art Museum area is also cool not only for its proximity to the Museum but Kelly/West River Drive which is home to Boathouse Row and a great walking/biking path (perfect if it's a nice day and good people watching). Art Museum area I'd recommend neighborhood favorites like Brigid's, Rembrandt's, London Grill, or Rose Tattoo. All great local choices.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 09:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The University of Pennsylvania campus is an interesting place to wander.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Old City there are two great used bookstores - Book Trader (my favorite - great selection) and Big Jar Books. They are only a block away from each other (on 2nd Street b/w Market and Arch). Along the same street is the old Christ Church. Nearby is Tangerine, one of our favorite center city restaurants. Cuba Libre is nearby and also good.

I would highly recommend a walk along the river drives (Kelly and West River, now called Martin Luther) behind the Art Museum along the Schuylkill River. The cherry trees may be in full bloom and they are really pretty.

Many people might recommend South Street, and there are good restaurants (and my favorite cheesesteak place - Jim's), but I don't think the shopping is as neat as it used to be. Too many "chain" stores now.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another great area is Rittenhouse Square - plenty of great restaurants and side streets - and pulling up a bench or lazing in the grass in the middle of the square is a favorite activity, watching the world go by.

Favorite nearby restaurant: Audrey Claire, at 20th & Spruce - try the grilled brussel sprouts, and the chocolate cake, to die for.

A couple blocks behind the Square is one of my favorite streets in Philadelphia - Delancey Street - full of large old EXPENSIVELY refurbished townhomes - from 1600 to 2200 - every block is a delight and a discovery.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:41 PM
GoTravel

Chesnut Hill is just gorgeous. The main drag is cobblestone lined with 200+ year old buildings that house quaint little shops.

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 02:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you been to Philadelphia before? What did you see?

My favorite walk in Philadelphia starts at 2nd and Delancey, continues up Delancey to 6th, then goes up Pine (or Spruce, your choice) until 9th, then cuts over to Clinton Street, up the two blocks of Clinton, then back to Pine, up Pine to 17th, picking up Delancey again until 21st, with a detour over to Rittenhouse Square at the end. At a meandering pace, with time to snap photos, read wall plaques, peer into windows, etc., should take you about an hour. I used to do this walk at least once a week. You will go by beautiful homes, shops, cafes, etc.
As you are interested in bookstores, consider stopping in at the Rosenbach Library. Not a bookstore, but one of the best private libraries in the country.
http://travel2.nytimes.com/2006/03/3...es/31trip.html
also:
http://www.rosenbach.org/home/home.html

If you have done Center City Philadelphia before, then agree with GoTravel about Chestnut Hill. A choice of routes there, including heading "down" Germantown Avenue (the main drag of Chestnut Hill) until Willow Grove, then turning right onto Willow Grove and taking your choice of side streets over to Pastorius Park and then back up through the parallel streets. Also, heading "up" Germantown past the old trolley loop and turning left onto Rex Ave and walking down and back there. Along Germantown Avenue there are lots of shops and cafes and a few restaurants. You can take either the Chestnut Hill West or East lines to get up to the area from Center City; I lean toward the West line as it puts you right onto Germantown Avenue.