COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Philadelphia for a long weekend in Dec.

Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Philadelphia for a long weekend in Dec.

Hello,
I am considering taking a Thurs. to Sun. in Dec. in Philadelphia just to mess around, see neighborhoods and dine. I'm looking for suggestions on things to do, places to see, places to eat (ethnic foods in particular). Any thoughts, ideas, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 11:27 AM

We lived in Philly in 98 so I might be a bit out of date with some of the below but I can't imagine the places have changed.

A great restaurant to check out is 'White Dog' on Sansom Street. Loads of detail about its history and menus by searching on Google.

South Street is fun too (alternative Philly). Good place to people watch especially on a Saturday. Depends on where you're staying of course but an interesting walk to South Street is through Society Hill first, then South Street and then on to South Philly for the market.

The Norman Rockwell museum was good, as was the Museum of Art and the Rodin Museum.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 11:37 AM

Just remember, first weekend in December is Army-Navy Game (Saturday, 4 December). The place will be packed with Midshipmen, Cadets, and their families. May be tough to get a place to stay.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 11:54 AM

Things to do:
One of our local public radio stations has just opened a cafe/club on the edge of the Penn campus. It's an offshoot of a popular program segment called World Cafe. Their goal is to offer live music every night of the week: www.worldcafelive.com/

If you're coming the first weekend of the month, there's First Friday -- a night when all the galleries in Old City sponsor one big open house: www.oldcityarts.org/

Places to see:
The National Constitution Center (www.constitutioncenter.org/). Or, have dinner at Rouge and watch the people and the Christmas lights in Rittenhouse Square.

Places to eat:
Well, where to begin. There's Asian (Vietnam on 11th Street). Italian (Radicchio on Wood Street). Mexican (Los Carines / Tequila's on Locust Street ). The list truly goes on and on.

Hope that gives you a place to get started.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Old Nov 7th, 2004, 05:12 PM

I would stay away from South St. unless you are in your teens. It has become a very young hangout, with junky stores and plenty of cops.

What has taken its place is the area around 2nd and 3rd and Market, north of Market to Arch, south of Market to Chestnut. Very lively, lots of galleries, cafes, etc. especially if it's the First Friday of the month.

The new Constitution Center is the most popular place to see these days. Allow time. Art Museum is great. Franklin Institute has a good Titanic exhibit, if it's still on.

Don't miss going to Reading Terminal Market, 12th and Arch. Have lunch there - great choices, lots of fun. Closed Sunday, not open at night.

Walk along Broad St. south of City Hall to see Avenue of the Arts, and stop in to see our new Kimmel Center at Broad and Spruce.

Go to the Rittenhouse Square area in the evening - it's lively in good weather, I'm not sure about December.

The Italian Market, in South Philly, can be interesting to walk around on a Saturday.

If you have a car, go up to Manyunk - lots of arty shops, eating places - what South St. once was.

For best eating suggestions, go to www.chowhound.com, and go to the Pennsylvania Board, which is mostly about Philly. That's where you'll get the best food advice.

Enjoy our great city!
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 11:28 AM

You could get discounted tickets at phillyfunguide.com They usually have half-priced tickets fo rmost events and a listing of the events happening that week. Also check out gophila.com.