Raleigh: Good neighborhoods?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2005, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. I am looking to move to Raleigh, NC with my daughter, as a single parent. I dont know much about the city, but from what I have heard its great. I dont know where to begin my search for a home. My price range is between $150,000-$175,000. I am especially looking for a safe neighborhood in which to raise my daughter. Does anyone have any advice on any places I should stear clear of or any advice on where to start my search. Thanks in advance!
snwflk
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 04:00 AM

Generally, the Southeast side of town has the most crime, and the northeast side - the least. (But that's close into town. The outlying areas - within a 45 minute drive - would be your best bet.)

In your price range, why don't you look in Garner, Clayton, Fuquay Varina, Holly Springs, or Apex?

You could also look at Oxford and Wake Forest.

They are growing fast, but they are still affordable and all are safe. You could find a place in that price range in most of the above towns.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 04:15 AM

Hire a good realtor and discuss schools and house prices with her/him.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 08:18 AM

Do you have a job in Raleigh?

It sounds like you don't from the post. Find a job first, then find a home nearby. Commutes can be difficult.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. I dont have a job yet, but I will be searching for a nursing job. Since I know so little about Raleigh and surrounding areas, I would be grateful if someone could tell me the pros and cons of living there. Thanks, every opinions helps!
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 10:58 AM

Well, you have a choice of 3 major hosptitals. Any of the towns they are in would be an excellent place. Where you will be able to live in your price range is where the realtor comes in.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 11:48 AM

I heard an ad on the radio for one of hte Raleigh Hospitals telling of their job offer and mentioned free employee parking. Something to consider. Both UNC and Duke charge employees for parking. I don't know about Durham Regional (visitors parking is free there, but not at UNC or Duke).

Old Aug 15th, 2005, 11:58 AM

Seems like there are always good nursing jobs open.

One of the major cons for some people is going on right now - the weather.

We've got dew points in the mid-70's and temps in the upper 90's today.

I was on my way home from work and the car temp gauge said 106. It's brutal out there, and I am used to being out in it riding horses. (They are getting a break today.)

Pros - cost of living and very little snow.

Cons - I've been here since graduating from UNC-CH in 1988, and it is growing too quickly for the infrastructure. It has also lost a lot of its Southern feel, and is getting a bit too "homogenized" for the taste of some.

Some people may think that's a good thing - I don't.

But for someone coming into the area from a different geographical spot, Raleigh can be a really nice place. I would think especially so for someone raising a child on their own. (Lots of things to do and see and relatively safe.)

Good luck with whatever you decide...