Relocating to Raleigh area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are considering moving to Raleigh. We took a trip this past weekend and fell in love with the area and people. We currently live in West Palm Beach, Fl and are originally from the Southern NJ area. We found one area that we really liked, a town named Garner. We even looked at new homes in this area and found a model that we would buy. We don't know much about the area so if you could give us some tips we would appreciate it. We like the area because of the schools. We are expecting our first child in July and would like to move out of the dreaded FL school system. We have heard horror stories about how bad the education is in our area. We also like that Raleigh/Garner has a smaller town atmosphere. We did get lost a few time driving on I440 & I40. I guess it will take us some time to get familiar with the road systems in the area.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 04:29 PM
mlw

One thing to consider is where you will be working.There are plenty of nice areas around Raleigh. North of Raleigh is the Wake Forest and Youngsville area, which is growing fast, but still has somewhat of a small town feel.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 04:43 PM

Wake County schools are very good. Check out this page from their website to get an idea on how students are assigned to schools -
http://www.wcpss.net/newcomer/getting-started/
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Hi again, Thank you for the responses. I am not too concerned about jobs in the area as I will be able to continue my current job and work from home. Although I wouldn't rule out getting a job locally. I am mostly concerned about finding the right area to live in. We were only in the area for 2 days and didn't have much time to research which towns or areas are the best to live in as a growing family. What are the best towns or areas in Raleigh to live in? We liked the looks of Garner and the nieghborhood we saw there, Bingham Station by KB Homes. Anyone know much about this new nieghborhood or surrounding ones?
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 02:14 PM

although more expensive, check out Fuquay-Varina, Apex, Wendell, Knightdell, and some of the areas between. Garner is growing, but sometime the home values grow faster in the other towns mentioned. But with some future developments in Garner, it may be the next big thing...
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 10:29 AM

I've seen that neighborhood advertised on tv. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

I guess Garner is growing by leaps and bounds, but so are the Wake County schools. Every year they redistrict so your kid(s) could end up moving schools often.

If you need to be near an airport for your job, you might want to look closer to RDU. New housing developments are springing up all over the place.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 12:18 PM

I am a realtor in the Raleigh area. If you would like to receive housing info on the area, just email me with what type of housing you are interested in finding. No obligation!