Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Mother looking to relocate to Charlottesville, VA

Aug 4th, 2010, 01:40 AM
Original Poster

I am a single mother of a special needs child looking to relocate to the Charlottesville, VA area. I am wanting to know what their public school system is like especially their special ed programs and the high achievers programs. I am also wondering what the cost of living is like there compared to other cities of its size. Such as rent as I am not looking to buy right away. I would be coming from Nebraska. Also if anyone has any knowledge of the employment rate there in the city. I have a paralegal degree, experience in the trucking industry and also hold NE certificates for CNA and Medaid. Any information that would be useful for me would greatly be appreciated. Where I am at in Nebraska the public school system has nothing to offer, the city is stagnant in job openings, pay scale is very low, has nothing to offer as far as entertainment and outdoor recreation. Charlottesville looks like a nice community with much to offer???
Aug 4th, 2010, 04:38 AM

This is going to sound mean, but it isn't meant to be. I just don't understand why you have settled on Charlottesville without knowing the answers to any of these questions. I can give you some general guidance and hope that more knowledgeable people will chime in.

Charlottesville is a nice, rapidly growing community still somewhat dominated by the university, which I expect is its largest employer. The climate is nicer than Nebraska, but housing is likely to be more expensive, and you can tell something about pay scales by looking on the local classifieds, at the University's website where employment opportunities will be listed, and at Craigslist.

You need to Google Charlottesville and look for statistical information about size, transportation, economic opportunities, etc. The town is in pleasant farmland, near the mountains, a lot farther from the ocean than it looks on the map.

I would not move to this area (or anywhere else in Virginia) without a job in hand or the ability to support myself for six months.

If I were you, I would write to the school system, tell them you are moving to Charlottesville, explain your child's special needs, and ask what you need to do to have your child certified for services in Virginia. I would not use words like "may", "maybe," or "might". Make it definite so they have to give you real information. Then you can decide.
Aug 4th, 2010, 10:27 AM

I lived in Charlottesville for three years and it's a gorgeous place to live, but I totally agree with Ackislander -- I would not move anywhere right now without a job in hand, or some way of supporting myself for several months without a job. And obviously you would need to do your homework on the special ed issue, because that's important to you.

The cost of living is pretty expensive, and people who move there are often shocked by it (esp. if they are coming from the South or Midwest, not so much the NE or west coast). C'ville is very much a college town, and is dominated by the university, but it also has a lot of very wealthy people living in the surrounding area -- the horsey set, with their Bentleys and their country manors. That drives the cost of living up pretty high.
Aug 4th, 2010, 04:16 PM

I have family living in the area - and while p rices are nothing like NYC or other large cities I think it would a shock to someone from a smaller town. As mentioned there is a significant well-to-do population, with the services they want at corresponding prices. And agree that the university is still a strong element (my cousin is married to a prof and their life revolved around it).

I don't know about the schools - think those in VA are generally good - unlike some other states where kids have to go to private schools for a decent education - but don't know the specifics for that area.

I would have a look at real estate web sites as well as the one (sorry don;t recall the name but you can google) that rates school systems nationally. Then you can contact the districts for specifics- since what is offered differs very significantly by state and area.
Aug 4th, 2010, 05:18 PM

Charlottesville is in Albemarle County. When I was in school there, the County was the wealthiest in the country and it's not getting impoverished any time soon. Charlottesville is one of the places I'd actually relocate to, but I wouldn't go anywhere without a well-paying job in hand.

And Virginia does have both a personal property tax and a personal income tax. Not sure how that compares to your situation, but bear it in mind.
Aug 4th, 2010, 06:14 PM

Technically, Charlottesville is NOT in Albemarle County.

The city is surrounded by the county, but is separate from it. IIRC, the city and the county have separate school districts, too, but I could be wrong about that.
Aug 4th, 2010, 06:19 PM

PS: Wikipedia tells me that it's a Virginia thing, that all the cities are legally separate from the counties.

I always found it very strange when I lived there, because some of the county buildings are in the city of C'ville, even though C'ville is not really part of the county. I don't think I've ever lived anywhere else like that, where a city was not part of any county at all, but maybe there are other states like that.