Search

rainbow bridge tour

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rainbow bridge tour

I will bring my parents to visit Page area next week on route to Grand Canyon. I am thinking to book a half day rainbow bridge tour. My dad is 80 years old, I am not sure how long does it take to walk from the boat dock to rainbow bridge. NPS site says 1.25mile one way, Aramark site says 1 mile each way. I called the Marina tour desk, they told me it's now down to half mile each way due to high lake level. Can anybody who took the tour recently help? How is the trail, is it pretty flat or lots of up and down? Thanks for your help. If this one is too hard for old people I am thinking to do the tapestry tour.
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 10:13 AM

We did the full day tour last August. The walk THEN was well over a mile each way. It was HOT with no shade the entire way until you got to the bridge. There were few spots to sit and the bridge, in the shade OR the sun.

The path last year was dirt, flat in some places, narrow, curvy, with some rocks, and there were some spots with dropoffs.

If I understand what you are saying, it is likely with high water levels, the walk is shorter this year.

Our neighbors was at Lake Powell about 10 days ago. She said it was very hot even at night.

The boat ride we took was 3 hours to the dock, then an hour to walk and what was supposed to be a 3 hour ride back. We had to go to Daggling Rope marina to pick up some folks who had had boat trouble and needed a ride back to marina. That added 45 more minutes to trip back.

There was little shady outdoor seating and the indoor seating downstairs what hot inside and smelled from the heads.

They ran out of water on the trip back, which made a long trip seem endless.

As to whether your father can do this walk - is he a good, strong walker? Is he used to the heat and sun? Does he have health issues?

Seriously, this can be an arduous trip for a senior who isn't in good shape.

Google "pictures of rainbow bridge az" to get some idea of what it looks like. I found lots of them, with different water levels.

What about your Mom? Will she be joining you? How is she?

The heat and sun can get anyone - we live in the southwest and we really felt the heat and its impact.

Deb

Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Deb. I was afraid the hike will be like that. If the trail this year is like you described, I am afraid my dad can not handle it. My mom is in her 60s and in good health, she probably can do it. I was planning to take the 730am tour, it's 2 hour each each way by boat, and an hour hike to and from the bridge around 9:30am, hoping it's not that hot at that time of day. I know I can find a lot pictures of rainbow bridge on the web, but to see it with your own eyes must feel different. With my parents with me on this trip, I might have to pass it.
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 06:38 PM

I haven't seen it, but I don't think it would be nearly as strenuous as Delicate Arch. There was an older man, that made the trek while we did the trail. He was thrilled when he finally made it around the corner to see that Arch. I suspect Rainbow Bridge might have the same effect. I would think the weather would have a big factor in making your decision.

What about a helicopter or plane tour over RB?
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 07:52 PM

And here I thought the rainbow bridge was where your pets went when they died....
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 08:06 PM

mmstl - I didn't mean to google the pictures instead of doing the hike, I meant to look at what the trails look like. I found some of them when I first tried to reply to your post, but accidently closed the thread before it posted. I will look for them again tomorrow and post.

I thought if you could see the trails, it might better help you determine if you Dad can make the walk.

Deb
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 07:22 AM
cd

Deb
That tour does not sound at all fun. Are there just power boats (not houseboats) you can rent on Lake Powell to see Rainbow Bridge?
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 07:36 AM

Yes, you can rent power boats, houseboats etc at the marina and go on your own. I am not sure if you must reserve a docking space or time if you do that. Lake Powell is full of all kinds of motorized vehicles from jets skis to 100 ft + yachts.

http://www.utah.com/nationalsites/rainbow_bridge.htm

I just saw that the average summer temp at Rainbow Bridge is 100!

Deb