Rainbow Bridge by houseboat

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning a 3-day houseboat rental from Wahweap in early September and would like to do the short hike to Rainbow Bridge. We have read that a permit is required to hike to Rainbow Bridge. The marina tells us that they "think" this is included as part of the required park fee that we pay when renting the boat. We don't want any surprises when we dock the boat. Does anyone know whether we need the Navajo permit to hike to Rainbow Bridge from a rented houseboat, and, if so, can we obtain one on-site?
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 07:17 AM

There is no fee to walk to Rainbow Bridge.

http://www.utah.com/nationalsites/rainbow_bridge.htm

http://www.desertusa.com/gc/rainbow/rainbow.html

I am not sure if you need to make a reservation to dock at the marina near Rainbow Bridge.

By water, the Rainbow Bridge is about 50 miles from Wahweap Marina on Lake Powell using private or rental boats. Group Tours are also available. Signage will direct you to the mouth of Forbidding Canyon (buoy 49) where a floating sign indicates the entrance to Forbidding Canyon. Proceed into the canyon about 2 miles (4km) where a sign directs you through a narrow passage to the landing in Bridge Canyon. The courtesy dock permits short-term parking.

It seems like it is first come, first docked. We went on a tour, so didn't pay much attention to docking.

Dangling Rope Marina is 10 miles, that is the closest gas.

Deb
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

DebitNM,

Thanks. That's a big help!
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 07:47 AM

We got a houseboat two years ago when DS worked at Wahweap, but we didn't take the houseboat to Rainbow Bridge. We rented a powerboat at the same time, and used that to tour and explore.

Are you experienced at handling boats? The houseboats are easy to handle on the open lake, but take more skill in the narrower canyons. There are many turns (some of them fairly sharp) on the way to Rainbow Bridge, and lots of boat traffic, which can make the water rough. Mooring spots were limited when we got to the RB dock. It was October, which was supposed to be off-season, but still plenty busy.

From Wahweap to Rainbow Bridge is a couple of hours on a fast boat, it will take even longer with the houseboat, and a lot of gas. I think the tour boat Deb mentioned is the way to go, unless you are also renting a powerboat; in which case, take that and leave the houseboat behind.

The hike you are talking about may be the walk from the floating dock back to Rainbow Bridge. We didn't have to pay when we were there. DS is working at Bullfrog Marina this summer, further up lake in Utah. He took a group of employees down to Rainbow Bridge last week via powerboat. I will ask him if there is a charge next time I talk to him.

If you have any other questions, let me know and I will see what I can find out.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

We have never been on a houseboat. We will be renting the smaller Expedition and, with the rise in water level, are hoping to be able to slip into some of the smaller spots. Yes, the hike to which I'm referring is just the walk back from the dock. We're really not interested in the tour, and we won't be towing a powerboat. If we have to skip the hike to the arch, we will, but we'd really like to do it, if possible. These are all helpful insights as we plan our trip. Thanks.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 06:18 PM

zelien,

We did a houseboat trip on Powell many years ago in the small est houseboat and all I can say is I would never do it again without a power boat or other water toys.

You have no idea how slow those things are. More "house" than "boat". Just imagine driving a house on the lake....and the gas it would suck....

Take the tour or rent a power boat. You'll be so glad!
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 06:52 AM

Definitely take the tour boat as the cost ($130 adults & $68 under 12 for the 1/2 day) is well justified when considering the price for marina fuel to get your houseboat there, to say nothing of the time. It allows you to enjoy the gorgeous scenery while someone else does the navigating. Also, during high season, houseboats are not allowed into the dock; powerboats and tour boats only, as it's a tight space. We've been able to take our houseboat through the canyon and to the dock in Oct, but I think Sept. might still be off limits?
Finding a good (available) mooring spot and setting lines is time consuming so it's HIGHLY recommended that you consider renting a tag along powerboat or waverunner for canyon exploring so that your houseboat can remain in one spot as home base.
With that said, either way, it's a fabulous, one of a kind body of water that everyone should experience at least once in their life.
We do two houseboat weeks a year (Aug. & Oct.) in addition to 1-2 day trips with our powerboat and never tire of it or feel that we've seen enough.
Enjoy