rain in Vegas?!

Feb 20th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

rain in Vegas?!

I'm taking my parents (and my fiance) to Vegas next week, we leave on Feb 27th and come back to Ohio on Mar 4th. I have been there in August and was overwhelmed by the heat.. anyway, I just looked on weather.com and the 10 day forecast predicts rain on Feb 27th and 28th (I can't look any farther ahead than that). Is this normal? I was under the impression that, being a desert, rain was very rare in Vegas.. How likely is it that it will rain the entire time we are there?
Feb 20th, 2006, 08:19 PM

Rain is very rare here, we only get about 4 inches a year. The chances of it raining the entire time you are here is slim to none. Typically our rain will only last for about 5-10 minutes anyway. Been here 32 years and I can't remember a day when it has literally rained all day. Anyway, July/Aug. is our rainy season. I wouldn't worry about it!!
Feb 20th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your informed response, and of course for giving me the answer I wanted to hear.. lol
Feb 20th, 2006, 08:26 PM

vegas, I saw on the news you had snow in Las Vegas yesterday. We were there in one Dec. years ago and it snowed. We were stuck for a few days as there were no snow chains available anywhere (needed them for the drive back to CA). Oh well, it was a couple of fun days!!
Feb 20th, 2006, 08:35 PM

Of course it's snowing!!! I'm leaving my wonderful snowy home in Whislter for four days of sun and golf at Lake Las Vegas next Monday....Arrgghh!!!!
Feb 21st, 2006, 04:24 AM

Rain is uncommon, but that doesn't mean impossible. We were there a year ago and had about 1.5 days of rain in our 4 day visit. Most of it wasn't much, but one afternoon/night it poured like you wouldn't believe, with flooding in the streets and cars throwing loads of water up onto the sidewalks. That was not a pleasant evening!

But, as vegasnative said, it's highly unlikely to rain the entire time you're there. And most of what you'd want to do in Vegas indoors - with lots of cabs around. I'm sure you'll still have a blast!
Feb 21st, 2006, 07:08 AM

LoveItaly, where abouts were you "stuck" in Vegas because you had no snow chains??? Perhaps you were up in the mountains somewhere, but not down in the valley. Ah, yaa it did snow the other day, (for about 5 minutes) nothing stuck, it didn't snow at my house, no plows needed (yes vegas does have "1"). Don't worry Whistler, warming up this weekend, expect about 70F for your Monday arrival! Tricia, of course I knew that was the answer you were looking for...but it is also the truth, it'll be ok. Have fun!!!!!!!
Feb 21st, 2006, 08:04 AM
ltt

a friend is heading there this week. according to cnn, looks like pretty cold temps this weekend. anyone living there...can you tell me if this sound accurate? if so, bummer...
Feb 21st, 2006, 08:11 AM

I happened upon a show called "The View" this morning. They were doing a "live" show from Vegas (outdoors). They had on coats and Barbara Walters said is was 35 degrees this morning. So I'd say it's cold at the moment.
Feb 21st, 2006, 01:39 PM

I live in Vegas and it has been very cold the last week. It is supposed to warm up for this weekend, our forecast for this coming Sat./Sun. (Feb. 25 & 26) is 70F. Hope so, we are not used to these cold temps!! Right now it is 2:30 PM and it is 55F. so that is chilly for us, and if the View was filming this morning, yes t would have been very cold! Brr!! Our normal for this time of year is about 63-65, so we are below normal, supposed to get back up to normal and like I said around 70F.
Feb 21st, 2006, 02:18 PM

I saw that snow announcement too! And some kind of shooting or hold-up at Harrah's today.

In February 2005 around president's day weekend it was raining for 2 or 3 days while we were there. The city was so unprepared! Everywhere in the monorail stations you could see buckets, cloth, mops cut off the handles sitting there just to absorb water.

But the monorail was running. The street elevators and escalators where not. The mover at Ballys was out of service.

But it's not such a big deal if you are there for the strip. We were mostly inside, but not gambling. There is always something to do in any weather.
Feb 21st, 2006, 05:22 PM

Amen Faina

When it RAINS here is Las Vegas, man it RAINS!

But mostly every few months we will get a little mist or dribble. Sometimes it will not even get the ground wet.
Feb 21st, 2006, 05:43 PM

I'm looking forward to four days of golf at the Falls and Reflection bay. IT will NOT be cold. It will NOT rain..and I will make lots of birdies and not have any hangovers. shhhh, don't wake me up yet.. Cheers, Al
Feb 21st, 2006, 06:42 PM

Hi vegasnative, it was a December, 1967 I believe. We didn't need chains to drive around the city of Las Vegas but we did in order to leave and drive home as only cars with chains were allowed through. We were at either the Sands or the Dunes. I did feel "stuck" because it was right before Christmas and we wanted to get home to our daughter. The hotel called around for us also, and advised that every set of tire chains in the city had sold out.

But we did get out in time to get home for Christmas thank goodness.
Feb 22nd, 2006, 12:43 PM

LoveItaly, That is hilarious! Hopefully that situation will never happen again because I have NEVER even seen snow chains in stores...I couldn't even tell you what they look like. We want to take our kids sledding this winter at Mt. Charleston, it is super hard to find cheapie sleds. Have to to go to a specialty store like a sporting goods store. 67 is the year my parents moved to Vegas, I'll have to ask them if they remember that...at that time I wasn't even a twinkle in their eye )
Anyway, a weather update for tricia and whistler, whistler you are sitting pretty so far if coming in on Monday, supoosed to be about 70-72. Weather guy says rain for Wednesday is probably the best chance we have had for rain so far this year...sorry tricia, still doesn't mean it will be to bad.
Feb 22nd, 2006, 01:28 PM

Somebody please tell me it ain't so: LoveItaly got chained to sands or dunes in Vegas??? Do they call it now "the sirens show"?
Feb 22nd, 2006, 01:33 PM
trippinkpj

I've been to Vegas seven times and was only rained on once. A very unusual cool and rainy late April weekend in 99.

Feb 22nd, 2006, 01:38 PM

Faina
Feb 22nd, 2006, 01:50 PM

What??? Can't a girl ask a simple question?