Quincy or Braintree Area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been on this board researching these areas. Does anyone think one area is better than the other? I've looked at the Marriott Quincy and Best Western Adams, and now am considering the Braintree area. I'm only going into Boston for one day, then doing day trips elsewhere (in October).

Which area would be better, close restaurants within walking distance to hotel, safety, etc? I know Braintree is further south, does that matter?

Any advice is highly apprecitated.

Thank you!
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 01:13 PM

The Marriott in Quincy is convenient to the highway, but nothing else -- it's remotely situated in the middle of an office park. And the Best Western isn't any better.

These are suburban areas, not much is within walking distance of anything else. The only hotel in Braintree that's within walking distance of much is the Sheraton; it's across the street from a big regional shopping mall. There are 3 or 4 chain hotels on Wood Road in Braintree that would be about 2 miles from the same mall; all are convenient to the highway.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Kealalani

My first concern would be, where are your day trips planned.

Old Apr 26th, 2007, 03:12 PM

Quincy? Braintree? As above posters have described, none of the hotels in these cities are located within an area that offers easy walking distance to restaurants.

I'm confused. Where are you planning to visit? Is this business? Pleasure?
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. We are going in Boston for one day, then doing Salem and the coast as day tours, so it's not essential to be in the downtown area of Boston. We're looking to save money.

Is there another area that is better?
As long as the hotel is close to a subway stop, and in a safe area...

I've read previous posts, and it seems many people try and save money by staying in suburban Boston, and those 2 areas are mentioned often. Am I off base?

Thanks again...
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 06:19 AM

I am very familiar with this area, and you should realize first that there are less than a few miles between them.Both are very safe. The Marriott is in an office park, but the great thing is that it is right across the street(less than 5 minute walk)from the Quincy Adams T station where you can take the red line to Boston, a 10 minute trip.I also think the hotel is nicer. The other location in Braintree is across from the South Shore Plaza. The Hampton Inn on Wood Rd. is the best of the bunch. It has an indoor pool like the Marriott. The mall is huge with a food court and a Joe's American bar and grill good for burgers.Also, the various chains(Chili's, Bugaboo Creek,Friday's, Famous Dave's BBQ,etc.) are all a 5 minute drive away. The t stop is also a 5 minute drive away in Braintree(not conveniently walkable though)Either would be fine, or for that matter so would any on Wood Rd. if you find a bargain.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 06:42 AM

"We are going in Boston for one day, then doing Salem and the coast as day tours"

Well, Salem is north of Boston and Braintree and Quincy are south, so you might be better-off with a different hotel location.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 06:52 AM

Yikes -don't stay South of Boston if you want to tour Salem, the Northshore, or Concord/Lexington!!!
Look into the hotels along Rt. 128/95 from Lynnfield to Beverly. In particular, I think the Marriott in PEABODY would be an ideal choice for your itinerary. Close to highway for Boston access, next door (easy drive) to Salem, and near the mall and many shopping areas. You will have a car, right?

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 07:23 AM

Meant to say near the mall and many dining options/restaurants.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 07:40 AM

Better yet, if you plan to daytrip to Boston and then spend the rest of your time around the Salem area, then why not stay IN Salem?

By staying in Quincy/Braintree area, you'll only be exposing yourself to alot of traffic when trying to drive to/from Salem. Not something you want to do. Several years ago, I was visiting family (I grew up in Quincy - Wollaston to be exact) and we drove up to Salem for the day. As I recall there were several hotels centrally located in downtown Salem. AND, there's the commuter rail line that runs between Salem and Boston (it's the Newburyport/Rockport Line). I've never taken that train, so check on the MBTA site for schedule -- http://www.mbta.com. Once you get into Boston via the commuter rail, you arrive at North Station, which also connects you to the subway portion of the "T" -- click over to the subway map and you'll see that North Station sits on both the orange & green lines. Also (if you haven't done so) run a search on this forum for "Salem" and you can find more info from folks who've taken the commuter rail to/from, as well as addl comments on Salem itself.

For my 2 cents worth, a visit to the Peabody Essec Museum in Salem in a must-see -- http://www.pem.org
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

We won't have a car. The tour company, Brush Hill Tours (Grayline) offers tours to Salem and the New England Coast (North Shore, Hampton Beach, Kennebunkport, etc). They only offer hotel pick-up/drop-off from Boston, Braintree, Quincy, and Dedham.

I didn't want to mess with a car. I've always heard that driving in Boston is difficult and we thought day tours are relaxing ways to travel, plus you learn a lot from the tour guide.

Now that I've looked on a map, I don't know why the tours are only offered from those areas, but they are.

I just wanted to avoid the hassle of driving, getting lost, arguing over the map, etc!

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 09:51 AM

I understand your preference. Why don't you stay in Boston? The other cities are quite inconvenient to your travels. What are the Boston choices?