South Boston Hotel

Old Apr 10th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

South Boston Hotel

I am staying at the courtyard by marriott in South Boston this weekend and was looking for some feedback. Questions: How far away is the Andrews T stop from the hotel? What is around the hotel? How long of a T ride is it to downtown? Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks!
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 06:35 PM

Looking at a Yahoo map, the hotel does not seem to be in Andrew Square itself but near the frontage road across the expressway and railroad tracks from the T station. This is really in Dorchester, not South Boston, and it is not a great neighborhood. The Andrew Square T stop is only four stops to Park Street, the "Grand Junction" of the T, but there is very little of interest around Andrew Square itself. Sorry to be a wet blanket. Maybe others will be more positive.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 07:42 PM

Hotel's website says 0.2 mile to Andrew Sq T stop. My measurement using Google Earth suggests about 0.3. Either way, short walk, but part of it is the overpass over I-93.

The South Bay Shopping Center next door seems to have a Home Depot, Target, etc.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 08:08 PM

Does the hotel have a shuttle to the T? Many offer such a service. If so, I would use that.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 08:12 PM

It really makes me angry when hotels do this to unsuspecting visitors. My guess is that you are staying there because it is significantly cheaper than downtown Boston hotels. You figured, it is in South Boston, only .2 miles from MBTA, and then a short ride to Boston - so what could be the problem.

First, as noted above, this is considered by Bostonians as Dorchester. They have some nerve calling it South Boston. It is not.

Second. If I place it correctly in my mind, it is on an access road/parallel road to the Southeast Expressway/Route 93. The area used to be a giant wasteland, but they have "improved" it with South Bay shopping center - Target, etc. That is better than what was there before.

Third, I am not sure how you would walk to MBTA. It certainly is not a walking area - likely at least part of the trip will be along a major roadway parallel to the highway - don't even recall sidewalks, but I have never walked in that area, only driven. I would not walk after dark - the area is somewhat safer than years ago, but you might get run over. At least the distance is short, so you could always take a cab to the MBTA - and the hotel website says there is a shuttle - but does not say to where.

There is nothing around hotel that I can recall except highway.

All this said, you are coming to Boston on a great weekend - but one that will be crowded and expensive, so all is not lost, especially if you got a good price for the hotel. Hope you are staying Monday to see the Marathon. Long-range forecasts are for good weather.

So don't stress about the hotel - I have never stayed in an awful Courtyard, so it is likely that the hotel itself will be fine. Just plan on doing your sightseeing, dining, etc in downtown and not in hotel area and you will have a good trip. Even a cab back from downtown to hotel should not be all that expensive and I would recommend it for a return trip in the evening.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:45 AM
TKT

I would guess about a 15 minute walk to Andrews and then a 10 minute ride to Park Street(downtown). If you take the T make sure you take it inbound.

In Andrew's Sq. is a very good Polish Restaurant, Cafe Polonia, for lunch or dinner, on Dorchester Street near the T.

Another place near you is 224 Boston, a funky restaurant for dinner.

As mentioned previously the best way to save time and maximize enjoyment is to take a taxi into Boston.

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the feedback, you have confirmed my suspicions about the hotel and its location. A 10 min. T ride to downtown shouldn't be too bad and then I can take in the rest of Boston. Any suggestions on an Italian restaurant in the North End?

Gail, I am actually in town this weekend to run the marathon. My first Boston...looking forward to it!
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 07:40 AM

You could get discount voucher at restaurant.com you pay $10/get$25 and they have a few italian restaurants in Boston listed. They list their menus.

I used to work in this area-it is not pretty as you have been told.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 01:46 PM

need2vacation - I am in awe of anyone who can run that far. When I have to DRIVE 26 miles for work I whine about it.

If you are running the marathon, then I think you are entitled to take a cab to and/or from hotel.