COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Quikbook warning

Old Feb 15th, 2003, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Quikbook warning

After using the hotel consolidator, Quikbook, for several years, we found out that they fail when something goes wrong. My husband and I booked a room through them for the Union Square Inn in New York last November. When we arrived, the desk clerk told us we had not room. He then showed us a fax the Inn had sent to Quikbook blacking out the weekend because of the marathon. I called Quikbook, and after some wait, the supervisor told us to go to the Marcel Hotel 10 blocks away. He told us to pay the bill and fax it to him. He said that Quikbook would pay us the difference in cost.
I did so and called my credit card company to stop payment for the Union Inn Room (something that Quikbook should have done). More than two months and several phone calls to Quikbook's general manager got me a check for the difference in the room prices.
I was then amazed to receive from the credit card company a letter saying that Quikbook was contesting the charge for the Union Square Inn. Quikbook says they will tell the credit card company to credit us for the Union Square Inn reservation but I have little reason to believe it's true.
I would caution travelers that Quikbook is good in good times and awful when they mess up.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 10:31 AM
GoTravel

Thanks for the heads up on Quikbook. You do realize that Marathon Weekend is the busiest weekend of the year for NYC? I'd never chance a priceline or discounter for that time.

Old Feb 15th, 2003, 11:02 AM

This is a reminder, too, that no matter how you book a hotel room, it's a good idea to phone the hotel directly to ensure that they have your reservation.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 11:35 AM

Wings,Please keep us updated and let us know if Quikbook credits your card for the Union Inn.Sorry about the problems you had with Quikbook.Hope everything is taken care of as it should be!
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 03:02 PM

To djkbooks - we tried this twice. Each time we were told by the hotels that they do not receive the reservations until the day of the check-in. So, checking with the discounter, as well as the hotel, is the best thing to do. Just a suggestion! As a note - one hotel in Chicago (Swissotel) didn't receive the "list" until late mid-afternoon. But they were very gracious and put us in a room based on our confirmation information email. We even received an upgrade! Nice folks & a nice place, too.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 04:15 PM
GoTravel

That doesn't make sense that the hotel doesn't get the list from the discounter until the day of. Last time I stayed in NYC with a priceline reservation, I called the Hilton (where I stayed) about a month in advance to confirm a king bed. Not only did they have my reservation, but I was also able to look up my reservation on the Hilton website.

Old Feb 15th, 2003, 06:26 PM

I would not book a hotel room with any resource a second time if I could not verify in advance, certainly before leaving home, that I had a confirmed reservation.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 06:33 PM

We've used Quikbook several times and were always very satisfied. They give an actual hotel reservation number, and charge no cancelation fees over and above the hotel cancelation policy. I always confirm my reservation with the hotel, shortly after I book with a consolidator. Sorry about your situation, hope all works out well.
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 05:50 AM

I've used quikbook perhaps 20 times; never had a problem. You get 2 confirmations: one from Quikbook and another a few days later from the hotel so the problem wings describes must be an anomaly.
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 06:15 AM

We frequently use Quikbook in the Chicago and DC areas and have always been pleased with the results. I've never had the problem wings described and hope it is an anomaly due to the marathon weekend.

I agree with djkbooks about calling the hotel directly to confirm 4-5 days ahead of time. We've used maybe a dozen hotels from Quikbook and have they always had our booking well in advance of arrival.
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 06:17 AM

I guess Quikbook is primarily for last minute reservations? I keep looking at it, but I tend to plan way in advance and so far haven't found anything cheaper than I can get directly from the hotel, in fact it is usually more from Quikbook.