Reload this Page >

Quick Weekends with kids in NYC!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 07:01 AM
peg

Flying to La Guardia for a weekend. Kids age 13 and 11. Want to see WTC site, Central Park, Statue of Liberty and FAO Schwartz!! Where is a cheap place to stay? Cost of taxi to city? Subways? Tour bus to see sites???
Should we stay near La Guardia and subway to Manhattan or stay there? Would prefer hotel not over 150 per nite! Just me and the kids!!

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 07:46 AM
xxx

Do not stay at the airport. Including toll and tip, it is about a $30 cab ride into Manhattan so that would cost you $60 per day. Subway would take forever. Go to Expedia or Travelocity and get an inexpensive room.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 08:02 AM
randi

FAO Schwarz FORGET THE "T"

Statue of Liberty is closed. Best to take the Staten Island Ferry. Great views. Skating Rink open at Rockefeller Center.

Get transit MetroCards. Remember that the city buses do not take dollar bills. Exact change $1.50 or get the card.

Stay in the city. Plenty of hotels . Check the websites.

What weekend are you coming?

NYC Marathon is Nov.3rd. City will be packed. Chances that all the hotels are already full.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 08:22 AM
thereuare

Get a "Metrocard fun pass"... $4/day gives you unlimited rides on public busses and subways. I like getting these cards and the mapping out my own tour of the city before i arrive, creating my own "hop on/hop off" tour at my own schedule.

Stay in Manhattan and NOT at the airport, save yourself both hassle and time.

Agree with the above poster about NOT going to Statue of Liberty, but do take the (free) Staten Island ferry which goes by Lady Liberty. Just stay on the ferry for the return trip back. I think ferry departs every 30 minutes, on the hour and on the 1/2 hour. Of if you are so inclined and are looking for cheap lunch/dinner, get off the ferry and take the bus that goes to Port Richmond Ave and eat at Denino's Tavern. It ain't much to look at but has the best pizza i've ever eaten in NY (not sure of the bus number, but you can look up the phone number and ask them which bus stops in front of their restaurant).

I would recommend bidding on a hotel at priceline. Lots of accepted bids for NYC <$100/nite for 4 star hotels (assuming you're not coming Marathon weekend, at which point all hotel prices will be MUCH more expensive). Check out www.biddingfortravel.com for more info and past winning bids.

Another suggestion is to be sure to go to Chinatown with the kids as it's like being in an entirely different country.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 10:36 AM
peg

Thank you so much for the great input. Couple more questions? Where do I get the staten Island Ferry? What about tour buses to see some sites all at once? Is there a viewing area at WTC???
My main objective is to see the ruins!!
Should we stay in MAnhattan or elsewhere? Wont be coming on Nov 3rd, probably next weekend after that. I fly standby so it is open.
Thanks so much
Single Mom & kids

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 10:43 AM
xxx

Yes, stay in Manhattan. Doesn't make sense to stay in one of the burroughs when everything you want to see is on the island. I would stay Midtown. As for The World Trade Center site, take the subway downtown to Fulton Street and you can't miss it. Walk 6-8 blocks south through Battery Park and you will see the Staten Island Ferry Terminal. When you finish, walk through the financial district and check out the NY Stock Exchange and the Federal Building. After that walk across Brooklyn Bridge. FAO Scwarz is on the corner of Central Park South and 5th Avenue.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 10:50 AM
a

Yes, as stay in Manhattan. Using the advice others have given, you should find a place within your budget.

Ruins...(that was a little strong)...besides, they are in the rebuilding phase.

if you are really looking to save money, then use the metrocard fun pass and avoid the tour buses.

for such a short weekend, unless your kids have been to NYC before, I would skip Central Park. Instead, head to Rockefeller Center and the Empire State Bldg. Also, even if your kids don't like art, they may enjoy the Egyptian wing at the Met. Also, consider the Museum of Natural History.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Beary

That 'ruins' thing bothered me also. It is the World Trade Center site.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 11:00 AM
peg

I totally apologize!! The WTC center has my complete heart!

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 12:04 PM
J

Best view--if you can call it that--is from the Winter Garden in the World Financial Center. Get a subway map when you get here. It's easy to read.

I'm not sure what you're expecting to see, though, or why this is such a tourist attraction. But that's an argument for another day. It's a gigantic construction site and mass grave. There's nothing in particular to see.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 04:03 PM
Cindy

My kids liked the Sony Wonder Technology Lab - look it up on the net. They also really like Nike Town.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 04:04 PM
jeri

For hotels I use www.hoteldiscounts.com and you can then either book online or by phone. I got the milineum broadway for 159. a nite. You should search the other conversations there are many answers to the questions you have asked. What about a show? Have fun.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 05:47 AM
rachel

try quikbook.com for good rates for hotels. unlike priceline, you can cancel or change your reservations, usually until late in the day of arrival. this might work better for you if you're flying standby.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 09:13 AM
Nancy

Your kids would probably love the American Museum of Natural History on 79th St and Central Park West. Your hotel concierge can probably guide you to tour buses -- there are plenty leaving from 34th st Bet 5th and 6th Ave. near the Empire State Building. If you can splurge, your kids would probably get a kick out of the Jekyll and Hyde theme restaurant around 57th St. and 6th ave. The Staten Island ferry is a great trip from lower Manhattan -- take a roundtrip and stay on the ferry. If you go to the WTC site, stop in Trinity Church and St. Paul's. Trinity is one of the oldest churches in the city and has a very old graveyard out back. The tombstones face the WTC. Oddly, they are all intact. Take a carriage ride through Central Park (again, a bit of a splurge, but worth it). You could do that before or after FAO Schwartz. Visit Rockefeller Center and St. Pat's. Take a walking tour -- check out Big Onion walking tours online. I took the one in Chinatown and learned a lot. You'll also be close to what's left of Little Italy -- stop in a cafe and have some pastry and cappuccino. There's also the tenement museum on the lower east side, not too far from Chinatown. See how most New Yorkers lived decades ago. If you or your kids like art, and what kid doesn't love mummies and pyramids -- stop in the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Around 81st and Fifth Ave. Above all, have fun. It's a great city.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 10:57 AM
rachel

another idea for accomodations-several of the YMCA/YWCAs offer rooms for reasonable rates. One (someone help me on this) has an indoor pool available to guests. the downside-shared bathrooms.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 11:32 AM
James

This might sound like a weird idea, but it's something I loved as a kid (and still enjoy today). I guess it explains my ridiculous obsession with public transit.

Anyway, go to the front of any subway train and let the kids peer through the front window as the train is running. Not all trains have this window, but many do. It's quite a thrill, especially in New York with its maze of tracks.

In order to get to both the WTC and the Staten Island Ferry, you can take the #1 train. It runs south from Times Square along Seventh Avenue with stops at 42nd St, 34th St, 28th St, 23rd St, 18th St, 14th St, Christopher St, Houston St, Canal St, Franklin St, Chambers St (get off here for the WTC and walk south), Rector St and South Ferry (get off here for the FREE ferry to Staten Island).

There are machines in all stations to buy MetroCards. They take cash or credit cards (but if you use cash, be warned, change is in coins ONLY!!) Best bet is to get a $4 Unlimited Use Fun Pass. This will get you on ANY subway or bus as many times as you want in one day.

If the Marathon is in NYC that weekend, the kids might appreciate seeing that.

Cabs are easy to flag down (except at rush hour and when it's raining). They are not too expensive. Expect a 15 block ride to be about $5. and a 30 block ride about $8-10 (make sure you tip!!!!) Use the subway during the day, and cabs at night or when tired from walking ;-)

A walk across the Brooklyn Bridge is very nice. The pedestrian walkway is well above the roadway and the views are spectacular. The kids might appreciate being high above the river and seeing the traffic roaring below them. I would suggest either:

1) Start in Manhattan and walk halfway across and then walk back OR
2) Take the subway to Brooklyn and walk the whole way back across the bridge. You can take the A or C train which run along Eighth Avenue to High St in Brooklyn. Then walk back across the bridge.

Additionally, your kids will probably LOVE Times Square. It's fun just to spend some times walking through it (best at night, with all the lights).

In general, just walking all over Midtown is fun. So many huge buildings and things to see.

For relatively cheap (and decent) accommodations, you can try the Apple Core Hotel Group (http://www.applecorehotels.com/)

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 09:40 PM
jill

www.belvederehotelnewyork.com

www.portlandsquarehotel.com