quick upgrade question

Search

quick upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2004, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quick upgrade question

When is the best time to request an upgrade? Before you get to the hotel or at check in?

Thanks!
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 06:50 PM

The best thing to do is 1) ask on the phone when you make the reservation, and 2)give the desk clerk $20 as you ask him/her for the upgrade.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 07:16 PM
gyppielou

I always call the hotel directly a few days ahead and ask for the front desk manager. I then ask them to confirm my reservation, again request a king bed and then politely request that if the hotel isn't at full capacity, I would really appreciate anything they could do to give us a view or high floor, as our trip is celebratory. Make note of who you speak with, in case you see them, or incase you get an amazing upgrade. Then a note to the general manager acknowledging their proffessional and gracious employee that worked to make your celebration a truly memorable one. I have also left a nice bottle of wine at the desk upon checkout. I have never palmed a desk clerk $. I have palmed maitrede's which usually,at the right place, works like a charm. That's it, now don't tell anyone, cause then everyone will be doing it!!! Happy trails!

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 03:42 AM

You can upgrade at anytime. Just tell the desk clerk which class of room you want.If there are any better rooms, then they go out of their way to put you in one. Very simple actually. I'm not sure I understand the question (unless you are thinking of not paying more for the more expensive romm??)
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 05:45 AM

There have been other threads on this - and apparently it is done in Vegas to give a tip to the front desk person - although I can;t really understnad why - since rooms are usually so inexpensive and upgrades often more so.

But I would suggest that offering $20 to a front desk person at a lot of hotels is a sure way not to get an upgrade - since IMHO this is quite rude. (Do you walk into Bloomies and offer the sales clerk $20 to give you a cashmere sweater for 50% off when it's not on sale?)

And yes, I have a close friend who used to be in the hotel business - and said in many hotels this is a definite no-no. Staff can definitely get in trouble with a manager for accepting - and it would be a black mark for those actually trying to use this as a stepping stone in a career.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 07:44 AM
GoTravel

How about paying for the upgrade?

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 07:47 AM
jasper

gotravel...you must be an 'industry' person too? : )

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 09:15 AM

GoTravel, that is one clever idea =D>
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 09:55 AM
GoTravel

I'm serious. Everyone wants that corner oceanfront suite but only the person that pays for it will get that room.

When I say pay, that doesn't always mean money. You can pay for upgrades with frequent stay points.

If the original poster wants a free upgrade for space available, they usually go to the frequent stay guest and then go to whomever is next.

No hotel will upgrade you for free ahead of time.

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 10:49 AM

This is always an interesting topic.

I've asked (very politely) to put us down for any upgrades that may be possible when I make my reservation and once again upon check in.

I don't know if the poster was kidding or not, but I would NEVER slip the front desk guy a 20 to upgrade you. I think that's rude and just not done in the industry (in general).

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 10:53 AM

Oh, here's an interesting story on upgrades.....

At the Hyatt Poipu on Kauai, I was there for a convention once with a lot of other folks in my company. I asked for an upgrade and the desk person actually pulled out a map of the property and let me PICK MY ROOM!!! Needless to say, I picked an oceanfront room.

It was funny, because that night, I heard people grumbling about the room they had overlooking the parking lot, etc.

Yep, it never hurts to ask.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 02:27 PM

In reply to nytraveller, Rooms in vegas are on the whole no longer "cheap." One must remember that vegas is ruled by the almighty dollar and absolutely NO clerk will be offended by a $20 to help with any "extra accomodations" one may need (i.e. upgrades, refridgerator, crib, etc.). Your analogy using a Bloomingdales clerk just doesnt apply here. I always "tip" everyone in Vegas and have learned from experience that tips are the grease that keeps Vegas in perpetual movement.