Queues for ferry to Liberty Island to climb Statue

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi fellow Fodorites, I have a pass for 2pm on 24 September to climb the Statue of Liberty, but was wondering what time you suggest I arrive at Battery Park to 1. collect my pass (purchased on internet) and join ferry queue. I don't want to miss my timed climb being caught out in a huge queue. Grateful for all comments/suggestions.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 07:00 AM

I'd say the earlier the better. I'd arrive by 12:30.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 07:33 AM

Is your timed ticket to climb at 2 or to board a 2pm ferry? I don't know how they are doing this, so that is a crucial question. If climb at 2, then you probably have to arrive by noon. If board a ferry at 2, then probably later.

There are guidelines for when to arrive on the national park service web site. I believe they recommend arriving 60 to 90 minutes ahead of your scheduled time so you can clear security in time for your ferry. You get into a priority line if you have already purchased tickets (and you should print those out ahead of time; if you haven't, then you might have to stand in another line, which would increase your time).

Having said that, I don't think it will be a problem for you if you arrive within the recommended window, but do verify that. The statue gets busier as the day progresses. Be prepared to stand in a lot of lines, and set aside the rest of the day for this trip.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 04:58 PM

Before you get on the ferry you will need to pick up your ticket (don;t know how long but there will be a line), go throughs ecurity to get on the ferry (they reco at least 45 minutes for this) , then get to the island. If you ticket for Statue is 2 pm I would definitely get to South Ferry by noon at the latest.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks both. The actual climb is 2pm. I have to exchange the printout from the internet for tickets at Will Call window (Battery Park), then queue for the ferry (hopefully in the priority line). What it doesn't actually say is if the Crown ticket price includes the ferry ride.......