Question about Seattle Ferry

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm coming up from Oregon. Is it better to take the ferry from Port Angeles or from Anacortes to Victoria B.C.?
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 06:26 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Define "better."
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

If you were going to be doing this, which way would you go and why?
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 06:43 PM

I would think it would be faster to go from Port Angeles. Portland is about the same distance to both, but you don't have to go through Seattle to get to Port Angeles. I think the crossing is faster from Port Angeles also, but you'd have to check hours and times. The ferry from Anacortes goes to Sidney, which is about 1/2 hour north of Victoria, whereas the one from Port Angeles goes directly to Victoria.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 08:34 PM

Anacortes - slower, more scenic, more hassle since fewer sailings, goes to suburban Victoria rather than downtown, drive from Oregon to Anacortes is faster, also less scenic than Olympic Peninsula. Plus the boat leaves in the morning so you have to be in Anacortes awfully early.

PA - faster crossing, less scenic, more sailings, goes to Inner Harbour, chance for good scenery on the way to PA.

You didn't ask, but the Tsawwassen-Swartz Bay ferry (BC Ferries) is fast, frequent, cheap, scenic, and has better food. Around 20 min. north of the border.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 09:56 PM

Easier to cross the border via ferry, though, than driving into BC, don't you think?
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 11:47 PM

If you're not taking your car, then you also have the choice of walking onto the Victoria Clipper. It departs from downtown Seattle and takes about 3 hours.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 05:59 AM

Easier to cross the border via ferry, though, than driving into BC, don't you think?

Not necessarily; I've actually measured elapsed time using the 3 routes on occasion (I have no life) and the delay at the border can often be less than the added drive time to PA plus waiting time, and significantly less than the comparable Anacortes times. Remember the San Juan ferry stops en route to Sidney, and there's the yoga at Anacortes beforehand. Usually unless the border is really jammed it's quicker to take the BC boats, which run every hour IIRC.