Question about Patriot's Day (Boston)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was planning on visiting Boston/Cambridge on April 12 -16 but now I am thinking of leaving on the 17th instead.

I just found out that Monday April 16 is "Patriot's Day" - I have no idea what this means. Will most everything be closed? Will Public Transportation run less frequently?

Ok, this may seem silly, but my main reason for staying an extra day is because I LOVE Chacarero in Downtown Crossing and they are not open on the weekends. (I figured it might be awhile before I got to come back and I should eat one more before I leave.) Would they even be open?

How about the crowds? Where will the most crowds be?

Thanks in advance for any information!!
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 08:43 AM

The main thing about Patriots Day in Boston is that it's the day of the Boston Marathon, which begins in a western suburb and ends in Copley Square in the Back Bay. Public transit is a bit disrupted where the buses and Green Line overlap with the race route in the suburbs.
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Well, I just looked it up and the race is going to start at 10am instead of 12pm - so maybe things won't be so bad.

Is there anything else I should know? Other than the race, is it basically "business as usual"? (Do banks close during state holidays?)
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 10:26 AM

Retail stores: Open at owners' discretion.

Liquor stores: Open.

Supermarkets: Open.

Convenience stores: Open.

Taverns, bars: Open.

Banks: Open at banks' discretion, most closed.

Stock market: Open.

Municipal, state offices: Closed.

Federal offices: Open.

Libraries: Closed.

Schools: Closed.

Mail: Post offices open; regular mail delivery.

MBTA: Subways, commuter rail, inner-harbor ferries, and commuter boats on weekday schedule. Copley Station closed all day. Bicycles not allowed on subway. Buses and trackless trolleys on Saturday schedule. Some bus routes affected by marathon to be rerouted. For more information, call 617-222-3200.

Boston traffic rules: Meters not in effect. All other parking rules apply.
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 10:38 AM

For a tourist, hotel availability might be an issue. All that weekend anywhere you go in Boston you will encounter people who are obviously runners. The city has a certain vibrancy - in a positive way - but it there are certainly more tourists than usual (runners do bring families).

The actual race course means some roads will be closed, and I believe they close some MBTA stops (such as Copley). The Red Sox also play a home game that AM, and so there are definitely real crowds around Kenmore Square, Commonwealth Avenue to Prudential from late morning thru mid afternoon.

My guess is that a Downtown Crossing location might be enough out of the race area to not be especially effected - and possibly even more empty than usual. However, it is also the start of public school vacation week for most of Massachusetts.
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

I had already made reservations with my regular B&B ( This will be my 3rd visit to the Morrison House at Davis Square - I LOVE IT THERE!) so that is not a problem. I just asked to add a day to my reservation.

I emailed Chacarero to see if they would be open, but I guess they won't answer email until after Monday. - I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world if they were closed. (I could still eat there Thursday and Friday! ) I will probably just have a good time hanging out around Davis and/or Harvard Square on Monday.

Thanks for all your help, Anonymous! You have been a great help on all my questions about Boston since my very first trip there in 2005!

Thanks for the helpful list, milemarker0.
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 05:51 AM

The other thing about Patriot's Day is they re-enact Paul Revere's ride (``The British are Coming!'') and the battle of Lexington/Concord. You can watch it if you get up early.