Quandry: Seattle or N.Cascades NP?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 07:05 AM
ellen griswald

Hey guys,
I need your help! As many of you know , we've taken 7 cross-country summer VACATIONS, exploring nearly every national park, many state parks, major cities, quaint villages, Major league ballparks, amusement parks, pueblos, rafting, yade yade etc etc...you name it, we've done it!

EXCEPT. We have NOT seen the new Safeco field in Seattle OR N. Cascades National Park. And on this summers trip, we only have time for one.

To me, its a no-brainer -- visit the Park. To "Clark" and our soon-to-leave-home son "Rusty", they're dying to see the new Safeco field and take in a game. Our daughter is "ambivalent Audrey" , since both have gift shoppes, lol.

I am being serious here guys, we need to make a decision and ressies SOON. We've spent several days in Seattle on previous trips, doing it all there, and we've also spent two nights in nearby Mt. Rainier NP in the Paradise Inn. So literally, Safeco field is ALL that we'd do in Seattle.

On the other hand, we'll be coming from the Canadian Rockies / Banff / Glacier / Vancounver on this trip, and we've also spent several days in the USA's Glacier-Waterton Int'l Peace Park. So....how different will N. Cascades really be? Should I press the issue to visit the park, even though it would be a quick visit -- one night max?

Any and ALL replies are most welcomed and appreciated!!!

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 07:19 AM
John

Well, I think the NCNP is gorgeous, but frankly have to admit that if you're coming from the Canadian parks it will be anticlimatic at best. In previous years a very fun thing to do was tour the City of Seattle's Ross Lake hydroelectric facilities (just west of the park boundary) followed by a family-style chicken dinner at the project village, but after 9/11 the tours have been suspended.

So Play Ball!

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 01:59 PM
captain obvious

Go to Safeco, take a quick tour but forget the game. Then head on to the N. Cascades. I personally would never forfeit a national park for a baseball game.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 02:26 PM
John

One thing to note, "ellen" - it's a longish drive from Seattle to the national park, on the order of 2+ hours just to the boundary, and most of the nearby accommodation is in Winthrop on the east side of the mts, the better part of 4 hrs. from Seattle.

Another possibility is to travel to Lake Chelan, off US 97 in central Washington, and spend the day taking the Lady of the Lake up this beautiful lake into the North Cascades, poke around the village of Stehekin, then return to Chelan. Frankly more fun than just driving across the pass. http://www.ladyofthelake.com/

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 10:42 AM
topper

to the top

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 10:53 AM
Grant

It's "quandary" not "quandry".
Americans are poor spellers.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 11:34 AM
xxx

And some of us are also nit-picky {sp?}!

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 11:47 AM
Grant

And some of you are simply nits.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 05:09 AM
topper

to the top

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 01:33 PM
ellen g

Thanks for the replies, John and capt. obvious.

At this point, we're planning to tour safeco field, as the mariners won't be in town when we're there. IF we have time, we may try to visit Lake Chelan.....OR we'll drive to and through N. Cascades. I understand it may be anticlimatic after being in the Canadian Rockies, but we'd still like to see it.

Any other ideas, anyone?