public trasportation to Chelsea peirs

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2010, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heading to NYC next Thursday and doing the Spirit Cruise for July 4th fireworks,Just got email from them saying security will be tight and no foot traffic to chelsae afetr 2:30--therell be 2 checkpoints at 18th/10th and 20th/10th--you have to go thru both.Theyre advising taking public transport--we were going to just take a taxi--we're staying at 53rd and 3rd,and looking at the subway map looks like we take the E train--does that sound right??Do you think a taxi would be able to get thru anywhere near the check in poiunt w/o a huge traffic jam--thanks
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 06:02 AM

E train is definitely the best subway option. You might get closer by bus or taxi, but you would get stuck in traffic. If it were me, I would just take the train.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 06:22 AM

DON'T try to take a taxi, whatever you do. Except in cases of necessity, they are the least desirable transportation option even in the best of circumstances.

The E train will take you to 8th Av and 23rd St. You can walk the rest of the way from there, about 3 long blocks.

I'm not sure I understand "no foot traffic after 2:30" tho'. That sounds awfully early to close the area to pedestrian traffic.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 06:23 AM

Extremely limted. There are bsues on 14th Street and 23rd Street.

This is from their website:

The M23 bus crosses Manhattan on West 23rd Street and stops directly in front of the northern entrance to Chelsea Piers. The M14 bus crosses Manhattan on 14th Street and stops at 18th Street in front of the southern entrance to Chelsea Piers. The M23 and M14 buses connect with all of Manhattan's north-south bus routes and subway lines.
N, R - Fifth Avenue
F, PATH - Sixth Avenue
1, 9 - Seventh Avenue
C, E - Eighth Avenue
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 07:09 AM

Definitely go by subway, and also check out your viewing destination before you go.

Last July 4 we went to what was designated a fireworks viewing area on a map published in the New York Times, but, instead, we and many thousands of others had great views of buildings with occasional glimpses of fireworks exploding above them. After a few minutes of this, we headed back to our hotel.

HTTY
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

thanks alot---since the 1st check point is at 18th,im figuring that we take E to 14th.Any E train will be fine, there arent any express trains that skip stops are there
We'll be on the Spirit Boat so should have a great view ( should for the price anyway), but hey, your only 65 once,and last time i saw the fireworks was when i was 16 with my mom
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 07:32 AM

14th Street on the "E" is an express stop, which means the locals stop there as well. You can even get off at 23rd Street on the "E"
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Ok thanks.BTW id love to see an official site saying what the security process is and after searching for the last hour cant find one.All im being told by the Spirit cruise folks is that theres 2 checkpoints and ill need to show my security pass to walk to chelsea piers--but what about all the other walkers,and do we all go thru the same line,or a different line if you have a pass--any links would be appreciated--thanks
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 08:53 AM

Chelsea Piers is a complex of piers along the river that extends from 18th Street to 22nd Street. I suspect these checkpoints are for people who have paid to take part in special July 4th events at the piers. On an ordinary day, anyone could walk into the complex of piers to use it's different facilities. For this day, I think they are limiting access to the pier complex to ticket holders.

If by other walkers you mean people who are just heading to the river to find a vantage point, I think they can walk wherever they want near the river, just not into the Chelsea Piers complex.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 09:20 AM
mp

Yes, ellenem is correct. I belong to the gym at CP, and below is some info for gym members. The pier area between 16th Street and 24th St will be closed to traffic - both to vehicles at 2:30 and pedestrians at 4:00. Only those with tickets/passes will be allowed past the barricades.
Aduchamp and the others are correct about the E train - you can get off at 23rd st and transfer to the Westbound bus (M23 that goes to the piers) - but I imagine the route will stop somewhere east of the Highway and you'll end up walking anyway. The same for the 14th Street crosstown bus - it will probably stop east of the highway and you might as well just walk.

For the Spirit Cruise pier, the entrance toward 18th St. is closer - I think the boat docks at pier 62, which is near 20th St.

Here's info from the gym: ACCESS TO THE SPORTS CENTER ON JULY 4th
For safety purposes, the NYPD has determined that the Chelsea Piers complex will be closed to the general public on the evening of July 4th. THERE WILL BE NO VEHICULAR ACCESS TO CHELSEA PIERS AFTER 2:30PM. THERE WILL BE NO PEDESTRIAN ACCESS TO CHELSEA PIERS AFTER 4:00PM. When entering the Piers prior to 4:00pm, you must have your Sports Center ID Card, in case NYPD begins limiting access earlier than schedule.
To access Chelsea Piers after 4:00pm to view the fireworks show, you will need a special ticket that can be picked up at the Sports Center Front Desk, beginning Monday, June 28th. Members who do not win a spot on the sundeck will still be granted access to the Chelsea Piers complex to watch the fireworks. The current guidelines from the NYC Police Department is that no one will be allowed to enter the complex without an authorized ticket after 4:00pm on Sunday, July 4th. No vehicles will be permitted to enter the Piers after 2:30pm on July 4th. The two points of access to the Piers will be at 18th and 20th Streets. Please note, NYPD plans are subject to last minute changes based on crowds; we are providing our members with the most current information as of this date and time.

So - as with everything in NYC - it will happen like that until it doesn't.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much--what seems weird to me is the the check points are at 10th ave at 18th and 20th--is they were at the piers theyd be at 12th ave, right??
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

PS--are there coffee shops et al at the pier to kind of just hang out if we get there before 4 to avoid the hassle of check points etc
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 10:15 AM

Everybody will be going through the same security points to get to the waterfront. Do not take any large bags or backpacks with you - regular size handbags are OK. Depending on how early you go you can expect to see a ton of people headed in the same direction.

Not sure about the rules on the Hudson side- but when the fireworks were on the EASt River the roads going into the area were closed to all traffic from 3 in the afternoon- and entrance was by foot only.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 11:09 AM
mp

They may be shutting down the highway (which is actually what you call 12th Ave) for pedestrians to gather on it to watch - so the checkpoints may be a block or two east at 10th Avenue and 18th and 20th Streets. Otherwise I'm nut sure.
The Chelsea Brewery is a comfortable place to sit by the water and have a beer (http://www.chelseabrewingco.com/) also there is a little burger place called Jasons http://www.chelseapiers.com/alsoDinJasons.htm
and there are lots of benches and tables all along the complex.
But I would call both those places to see what their hours will be that day.

It's actually an interesting place for a stroll, there are huge wall photos on the buildings, as the piers are quite historic - the Titanic was scheduled to dock there, and it's where the SS Carpathia, with the Titanic survivors first arrived.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Guess Ill call one of those places early next week to see exactly what the access rules are to get in.If evryone has to go thru the check ppoints it amy be really chaotic.Im hoping the screening doesnt start till 4,and we'll get there earlier and just hang out at the piers till 5--if it starts at 2:30, like the spirit folks say,then well just take the subway to 14th and trek back--one of our group has a kneee problem so stading/walking alot is an issue for them so hope we can get in earlier
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 12:05 PM

12th Avenue does not begin until north of 22nd Street. The street next to the piers would actually be 11th Avenue. Whatever the case, they may have general security screening east on 10th Avenue.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

youfolks have been so helpful---thanks.Im hoping that we can get there early and just wait